1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Conventional wiring question

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by pennyduke, Feb 6, 2010.

1. pennyduke

pennyduke Member

I just purchased an old conventional Western Plow and mounted it to a 1989 Suburban K1500 4WD. The wire harness has the 3 wire plugs and my 4 headlights only have 2 wire plugs. Do I need a new harness or is there an adapter to make it work. If I need a new harness can someone point me in the right place to get one or give me a part number for it. All help is greatly appreciated. Thanks, Mike

2. twinman326

twinman326 PlowSite.com Addict

are you head lights HB-3?

3. pennyduke

pennyduke Member

How do I tell if they are HB-3 ?

4. Evanbrendel

Evanbrendel Senior Member

are they big sealed beams or are there 4 different lights?

5. pennyduke

pennyduke Member

They are 4 different lights. The bulbs are smaller and have HB-6 stamped on them on one side. It's dark and i'm not sure about the HB-6.

6. twinman326

They should say on the head light itself..

Do you have two, or four head lights

I believe you have the composite type (plastic lens), not glass type?

Most likely you have HB-3 HB-4

Pretty sure these are for your vehicle

Here is a pdf to help you out
    http://www.westernplows.com/pdfs/63696_020604.pdf

here is another pdf for the wiring and setup. Look on page #10 and page #15 to see if this is your headlights. On top of the page it will tell you what part number you will need.
    http://www.westernplows.com/pdf/13660_021797.pdf

Last edited: Feb 6, 2010
  7. pennyduke

pennyduke Member

They are glass.

8. Evanbrendel

Evanbrendel Senior Member

is it a w/t?

9. twinman326

10. pennyduke

pennyduke Member

what does w/t mean?

11. Nasty-Z

Nasty-Z Senior Member

89 Suburban probably has the old LF/UF style lights like this:

http://members.cox.net/ndbracing/cars/89burbn/images/P8010015_640x480.jpg

What wiring do you have now for the setup , do you already have lights ? I assume this is an old cable style conventional plow , or is it the newer solenoid control setup.

Pic's of what you have now would be a help to guide you to the right parts.

If you can't post pic's for some reason , shoot me an e-mail , tomsnastyz@yahoo.com and i'll try to help.

TOM

12. pennyduke

pennyduke Member

Those lights are exactly like mine in your picture. Do you still need a picture? I have a harness that came with it that has 3 wire plugs. The setup is the old cable style conventional plow.

13. twinman326

Last edited: Feb 7, 2010
  14. pennyduke

pennyduke Member

Thanks for all your hard work. I will order this kit today. I hope they still have then in stock.

15. Nasty-Z

Nasty-Z Senior Member

Except the 61580 is a kit for Unimount , he has a conventional mount where the lights would be on the truck all the time , easiest way to do it would be with a 6pin cut in harness IMHO , although you could use a Western plug in harness for the LF/UF bulbs providing you could still find one .

Mike , I gave you a visitor message with my # , give me a call if you want.

TOM

16. Nasty-Z

Nasty-Z Senior Member

Here is the correct light wiring instructions for the headlights you should have on your conventional mount: http://www.westernplows.com/pdfs/13436_052893.pdf Look at item #20 , "plug in harness LF/UF"

The correct plug in harness for the LF/UF bulbs is a P/N 60696 Sold here : http://centralparts.com/ProductDetails804.aspx Don't know how avalible it is though .

As said before , I would do an aftermarket set of lights such as Trucklite or such which would have the cut in harness included and would probably cost not much more that the harness alone from Western or CPW , just my .02

TOM

Last edited: Feb 7, 2010
  17. pennyduke

pennyduke Member

My profile picture should show what I have as far as lights. Do I still need harness kit number 60696?

P1010126.jpg

Last edited: Feb 16, 2010
  18. Nasty-Z

Nasty-Z Senior Member

Yes, but for the $ I would still consider a set of aftermarket lights , you will pay abut the same for a whole new set of aftermaket lights as you will for the harness and switch alone.

Nice snowfall BTW , one of my best friends lives in Front Royal and said they got hammered.

TOM

Last edited: Feb 16, 2010
  19. pennyduke

pennyduke Member

I saw 1 go for $39 on EBAY. What type of aftermarket kit do you recommend? That was the second snowfall this year. The first was 3 feet. We did get hammered...

20. Nasty-Z

Nasty-Z Senior Member

If you can find it for $39 by all means go for it , if your lights work now by all means use the plug in harness ,it will be fine . I was just saying if you had to pay full price for it ........

I like the Trucklite ATL kits myself , google "Trucklite ATL" , many vendors have them.

HTH

TOM