1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Conventional Western vs Unimount

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by mxz600, Oct 29, 2003.

1. mxz600

mxz600 Junior Member

Any chance I can take the conventional mount 7'6" Western plow setup I have for my 84 Chevy pickup and transfer it, relatively inexpensively, to a 98 Chevy pickup? I would like to know if I can buy the brackets and will things mount up to make it a Unimount?

So basically can I turn a conventional mount into a Unimount ?

2. 90plow

90plow Senior Member

Look at the setup on the western site I dont believe there is anyway you could chang it over to a uni-mount. The plow is in no way the same. Unless you are asking if you can move your unimout from one truck to another, but there is no way you can convert a conventional plow to a uni-mount...that I know of
  3. DanG

DanG Senior Member

If you have a torch/welder & money & the time you could make it work.
    But it would be more cost effective to just forget about it and mount it the normal way and just modify the truck side mount.

4. JohnnyU

JohnnyU 2000 Club Member

My uncle looked into it once, He found that he could buy a brand new one for $200 more than the price he was quoted for all the parts he'd need.

He bought a Unimount plow that was gently used and got a mount for his other truck.

POWERBAND Member

Old Plows New Trucks

If you visit this site often you may have seen my posts on this in the past few weeks. I bought an '04 Chevy 1/2 ton and was trying very hard to find out how I could put the 7.5 Western in excellent shape from my 85 Chevy on the new truck.
    The answer for me was not worth the trouble. You could of course with enough effort weld up adapters and such but the cable operation is another hurdle.
    I found that with older Meyers plow, you could get frame mounts for the new truck but Western and Fisher have abandoned the older plow setup for the all-in-one blade/frame/light setups. I seriously considered buying a Meyers mounting "carton" (frame mount), and using the Western blade and power unit . This was the only workable alternative.
    In the end, I relented and ordered a new plow after selling my (T)rusty old '85 with the Western plow.

By the way, I really don't like the all-in-one setups (Uni-mount/Minute mount). After it is off it is too heavy to move and the demos on dry pavement look easy but in the snow and slop I want to handle just the blade.
    So I bought a new Meyers EZ Mount 7.5 and will stick with the proven setup.