1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Conventional western drops slow.

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by the_mayor, Dec 7, 2010.

1. the_mayor

the_mayor Senior Member

I have a cable operated western on my spare truck. My question is how do I get the plow to drop faster? If it's a cable adjustment, which cable is it? Also, if I make the adjustment, will it take away from the lifting speed? Thanks in advance for your help.

2. the_mayor

the_mayor Senior Member

Anyone? Looking to make an adjustment tonight.

3. twinman326

twinman326 PlowSite.com Addict

4. twinman326

here is a pic

Clipboard01.jpg

Clipboard01.jpg

5. the_mayor

the_mayor Senior Member

Thanks for the info. I'm sure this is exactly what I'm looking for.......here's the problem. When I loosened the lock nut, the small hex nut in seized. Can I back out the whole assembly and install a new one? Or will springs and ball bearings fly out all over the place?

6. twinman326

If the plow is dropping to "slow", then turn the screw "out" very little. Then raise the plow, then lower the plow to see the speed drop.. U don't need to take it out all the way.

Now if the "lock nut" is seize to the hex screw, I would(if it was me) just give it a little heat, then let it cool to warm, and using the wrench and allen wrench try to free with out taking it apart. If you have to take it apart, do it slow and watch.

You did download the PDF??

7. the_mayor

the_mayor Senior Member

Yes, I did download the file. Thank you, it is very helpful. The problem is, the check valve is seized in the lock nut. I don't want to add heat because of the o rings in there. From what i've read, I'm supposed to loosen the lock nut (which I did) and then turn the check valve in, not out. I'm wondering if I can just loosn the lock nut all the way and pull the whole thing out and replace it?

8. twinman326

My mistake, your right, turn in a little.

I meant heat the lock nut slightly just to make it warm enough to loosen it, or try PB blaster.

Just watch when you pull it apart.Everything might stay in place.Just remove it slowly

9. the_mayor

the_mayor Senior Member

Hey twin, thanks for your help with this thing. I was able to pull the whole valve out, bring it to the bench and loosen the valve from the lock nut. I turned it in a 1/4 turn and reinstalled it. Now the blade drops at the perfect speed. Thanks again.

10. twinman326

Glad I can be of service....Happy holidays, and safe plowing