1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Conventional to MM question

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by 06HD BOSS, Dec 10, 2007.

1. 06HD BOSS

06HD BOSS 2000 Club Member

Question for you Fisher guys...
    Ive got the opportunity to pick up an old conventional for cheap, comes with everything. Question is, would it be possible to adapt it to the MM1 or MM2 frame? Would all i need is the A frame, headgear, pump and wiring?
    Any info would be great. Thanks:cool:

2. J29

J29 Senior Member

Didn't Banksy just do a conversion like that if my memory serves correct? He has that white Dodge Cummins down in the Carolina's. J.

3. 06HD BOSS

yeah i think he did a MM1 conversion. he didnt talk much about the hydros and wiring though.
    is a MM2 possible? just seeing if anyone has any more info...

4. Flipper

Flipper PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

Got to change the A-frame to clear the MM Jack. You could run MM2 with beltdrive hydro or any setup. They can be ordered without hydraulics. Just a matter of putting together the pieces you need for what you want.

5. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

The only piece of the conventional Speedcast 8 foot I used was the blade. I had to get everything else for a MM1. You can use regular Fisher hydraulics for a MM. You just have to have a quick disconnect for the lift ram too. I don't know if regular hydraulics is even possible to install on my truck, so I'm going to just go with elec/hydraulic. A MM A-frame is required unless you want to modify the old one to fit around the drop stand that holds up the plow when not in use.

6. 06HD BOSS

thanks guys. i could pick up the whole "off the truck" set up for $120 and the damn thing has no rust on it lol. im thinking this would be a fun project to hold me over through my down time this winter.

7. It can be done..

You'll probably spend $1200-$1400 bucks or more but it's worth it if the blade is in real good shape. You'll need pretty much everything, go with the Insta-Act pump setup, isolation module etc., then you can transfer from truck to truck. It's what I've been doing since 1978 as my signature says. I went MM1 about ten years ago and I've used the same setup on 3 different trucks since then.

8. rtm038

rtm038 Senior Member
    from NJ

While I like the older style Fisher conventional plows, what is the advantage of adapting an older style blade to either the MM1 or MM2 headgear?

Ryan

9. The advantage is the money that will be saved by not buying a whole new setup if your blade is in good shape. Also, the older plows weigh more and don't have the powder coat paint that peels off in 2 years.

10. rtm038

rtm038 Senior Member
    from NJ

Oh.....ok.

Ryan

11. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

I had the blade and it's in good shape, just needs a real good paint job. I think I'll tackle that this weekend maybe.

12. scitown

scitown Senior Member

Well

Is it true some states are making the old frames illegal? Thats the word in Ma. They are making it illegal to keep a trailer hitch on that hangs past the bumber. I was told my old truck wouldn't pass inspection with the fabricated mounting plate that was on it. I think staties are sick of hitting thier knees when they pull people over.