1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

conventional pump?

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by L.R.G, Jan 21, 2014.

1. L.R.G

L.R.G Junior Member

I have a friend that has a 8' western conventional/cable and was having issues with pump pressure. We hooked up a gauge and found that we only had about 800psi....about a 1000 short. So we ordered a new pump and motor pump#49211 and motor #56133 {right from there schematic/parts list} and put everything together and nothing! So we pulled everything apart only to find the new pump shaft stem it about 3/8" to 1/2" shorter than the old one and is not connecting to the motor.Basically the motor is spinning nothing. Has anyone run into this problem and if so what do we need to do to fix it??Thanks

2. rofoth6

rofoth6 Member
    from iowa

did you put that spacer between the pump & motor back in ? it has slots on both ends to connect the motor and pump

3. linckeil

linckeil PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

western used different motor/pump combinations. the new style motor will not work with the older style pump, and vice versa. however the entire motor/pump assembly will swap from any housing to another. both style motors and pumps are still available from the aftermarket.

but if you ordered a new motor/pump assembly, you would hope whoever sent it to you sold you a matching pair, but maybe not...

4. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

http://library.westernplows.com/westernplows/pdffiles/21936_121704.pdf
    Have a look at this link, page 8. They show the two different pumps.
    http://library.westernplows.com/westernplows/pdffiles/64681.06_091509_for_Web.pdf
    This is the parts poster with part numbers. Again it shows two pumps but only one motor???
    I too remember dealing with two different motor numbers but I can't find any evidence of it.....
    If you still have the old pump measure the length of the input shaft and compare it to the new one. If the old one is longer then you know what the problem is. Either you need an adapter / extender (which also sits vaguely in the back of my mind but not sure it exists) or a motor with a longer shaft.

5. linckeil

linckeil PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

there were actually at least 3 different pumps - the 2 that misnick shows on page 8 of the link he attached are interchangeable and both considered the "new" style that work with the "new" style motor.

there is a version that was used only on the older cable controlled units. this "old" style pump can only be used with the "old" style motor.

see this link for pics of the new and old style motor.

http://store.discountsnowplowparts.com/POWER-PACK-CABLE-WESTERN-SNOW-PLOW.HTM

6. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

Excellent info Linckeil! I had vague memories of these old things but couldn't nail it down. Now it's clear as glass. Thanks for that... That's what I love about this forum, even after working on Western for years I still learn new things about the old stuff all the time...

7. L.R.G

L.R.G Junior Member

Wow Thanks for all the info. I was out plowing all day. Ill pass the info along and hopefully we can get it back up and running. I do know for a fact it is a "new style motor" with that pump#. Ill keep everyone posted. Thanks again