1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Conventional Plow

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by jlw876, Feb 19, 2010.

1. jlw876

jlw876 Junior Member

I have a conventional cable type plow on one of my trucks & it goes up really slow & left/right really slow. It has a new motor on it, new cables/fluid. Any suggestions??

2. twinman326

twinman326 PlowSite.com Addict

It could be a couple of things

A) check your charging system

B) Filter.

Which bring me to this question. When you say " new fluid", did you check the filter and flush the whole system including the hydraulic rams??

3. jlw876

jlw876 Junior Member

I didn't flush it out..all I did was replace the fluid in the reservoir. I did clean the filter also. It's an older truck..Just all of a sudden last season during the middle of a storm it decides to not work right.

4. twinman326

twinman326 PlowSite.com Addict

You might want to do a complete system flush.

Here is some info regarding flushing the system

maintenance AAA.jpg

maintenance AAABBB.jpg

When you clean the inside of the housing, you might want to check the "O" ring on the bottom of the pump to see if it is damage.

If this doesn't resolve the problem, then you might have a problem with the pump...

Here is a pdf for cable plows. There is a section toward the end of the pdf that show you how to break the pump down completely
    http://www.westernplows.com/pdf/62880.pdf

maintenance AAA.jpg

maintenance AAABBB.jpg

5. jlw876

jlw876 Junior Member

Cool, I'll check it out! Thanks