1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Conventional or Uni-Mount????

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by linckeil, Apr 29, 2009.

1. linckeil

linckeil PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

Over the last few months I have been looking for a clean truck to replace my 1986 F250HD with a Western conventional mount. I was after a truck that has never had a plow on it and was going to swap my conventional setup from my ’86 onto whatever new truck I ended up with. But I came across a very clean 1996 F350 with a Western Uni-Mount that I couldn’t pass up. The original cutting edge is still 90%. The plow was used very infrequently.

Here’s my dilemma –

I love the conventional setup on my ’86. It’s never let me down and when a problem arises, it’s always a very simple fix. I know the unit very well. Plus the conventional mount seems like a much more sturdy setup to me (maybe its just my imagination?)

The Uni-Mount setup on the ’96 I just picked up works just fine, but I know nothing about these units or their reliability. I do like the fact that the head gear comes off with the plow, but that’s not a major consideration of mine.

So should I run the Uni-Mount, or swap it out for the tried and true conventional mount? Reliability and ease of fixing problems are my 2 major considerations.

What do you guys think?

2. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

You can not buy a conventional mount for the 96 and the 86 mount will not fit it.

The uni-mount is a good snow mover. IMO the uni-mount scrapes better then either the conventional or the ultra mount.
    the swap over is a little more complicated then just the black iron, lights and controls would have to swap also.

i would leave things just as they are.

3. Crash935

Crash935 2000 Club Member

I'm with Basher, leave it as is.

Download the mechanics guide and give it a look, its not that much different than the conventional and once you learn it you wont have a problem.

4. Western1

Western1 Senior Member
    from MI.

Ditto the unimount maybe a little more complicated but still a very reliable plow!

5. linckeil

linckeil PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

thanks for the input. I'm aware of the frame differences but i love to weld and fabricate so that doesn't scare me. the wiring swap would be easy for me too.

but i think i'll give the unimount a shot. what are some spare parts i should always have on hand specific to this unit?

6. Schwinn68

Schwinn68 Senior Member

The spares I have are hoses and a solenoid.

7. Western1

Western1 Senior Member
    from MI.

Ditto on the hoses and a spare solenoid. Maybe a relay for the lights also.:cool: