1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

conventional mount lift problem

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by ctbob, Dec 15, 2008.

1. ctbob

ctbob Junior Member

I have the old style fisher plow the conventional mount that I bought used it also has the hydraulic pump and belt in the engine.anyway when i go to lift the plow up it only goes up and a foot off the ground and then stops.I have to rev the gas pedel up alot to make it go up from there and then the plow stops half way up and the i have to rev up the engine even more to make the plow go all the way up.the lift ram or the lift cylinder on the front of the truck when the plow off is off truck i can pull it up with my hand does that mean the lift cylinder is no good?the pump isnt leaking but we did put a belt on that was a little shorter not sure if that has anything to do with it? im just want to know if i need a new lift cylinder or a new pump or both before i spend the money.dont wanna buy something i dont need.thanks any info will help

Last edited: Dec 15, 2008
  2. Brian Simmons

Brian Simmons PlowSite.com - Sponsor

Does it work a little better when the unit is first operated? Sounds like the pump needs to be replaced. Usually when you have to really rev the engine to lift the plow it means the gears in the pump have worn and the whole pump needs to be replaced. Unless the cylinder is leaking it should be fine.

3. ctbob

ctbob Junior Member

no when its first operated it works the same.i forgot to say also that the lift cylinder will only go a quarter of the way down when i put the plow on the ground and i have to push down on the triangle to make it go all the way down so thats another reason i was thinking the lift cylinder .thanks for the inof guess ill buy a new pump if there still made?is the lift cylinder still made to?thanks take care.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2008
  4. Brian Simmons

The cylinder will only drop as far as the blade drops. The cylinder has packing in it and will not gravity drop. It needs to be manually pulled down. Still sounds like a pump though. Another thing you can try is remove the cable from the pump and operate the valve spool by hand. Sometimes the cables just stretch to much and not enough spool travel. If it works OK by hand then the cable may need to be replaced or adjusted.

5. ctbob

ctbob Junior Member

thanks im sure you know more than i do ,im going to order a new pump.thanks for the info.

6. Brian Simmons

Well I am not there to see the plow so I can only assume this is the issue.

7. ctbob

ctbob Junior Member

I went to the plow store todayhere they did a pressure test my pump only had 500 lbs of pressure they told me it should be 1500 so yes I needed a new pump.im going to put it on tuesday.thanks for your help brian you were right as I thought you would be.does fisher still make the lift arm triangles for the conventional mounts?mines kinda beat up bad and rusted I wanna get a new one or a better one anyway.thanks again.

8. Brian Simmons

yes we do. P/N 312 for the RD style plows and 804 for the HD plows.