1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Conventional frame and belt drive hydraulics..Flipper...LOL

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Wicked500R, Sep 10, 2007.

1. Wicked500R

Wicked500R Senior Member

Flip, I just read another post and you said you installed belt drive hydraulics into a new truck. What did you use and how did you set it up?? My plan is to do a conventional frame Fisher with a central hydraulic style system. I think I already have spool valves I can use to control the flow. I was thinking a clutch pump on a switch and the rest full hydro....I need ideas and input from anyone. The truck is a 95' Dodge 2500 Diesel. Thanks!!

2. Flipper

Flipper PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

I have done numerous trucks. Some full central hydros that could run a spreader and dump body. Others were just plow setups though.

For plow only setups I use the Fisher electric clutch pump. These can be bought on ebay for $100-150. These are the pump only not the older setup with the attached resevoir. I use 3 quart remote resevoirs. I always install inline filters.

For the valves, sometimes I use the old cable valve setup. When I do this I install a switch to turn the pump on or off. Recently I have done a few with electric valves. These are more compact but are also pricey.

Now for the catch. Unless you have a truck without A/C which is becoming rare, you often have to move stuff around. On the Ford Powerstroke I just did for example, We had to make a plate to move the alternator over towards the drivers side to fit the pump up on top of the motor. We ran it with an auxilary belt off the main system.

I will try to get some pics of recent projects up.

I have done Fords, Chevies, Dodges, Jeeps and Toyotas, so let me find the pics for the Dodge Cummins and I will get them up.

Belt drive is my preferred. The only plow I have now not on beltdrive is my LD minute mount on my Tacoma and the V-plow. I am currently planning an electric solenoid setup to let me run the v from a belt drive.

3. Wicked500R

Wicked500R Senior Member

I've searched and searched and cant find a Fisher clutch pump... I definitely want to do a remote reservoir system. I found a guy on Ebay who has a Diamond Belt drive mount kit for 94 and later Dodge Cummins with no pump and it works with or without AC...Very interesting...But I'm not sure what kind of pump it accepts. I have a set of spool valves I'd like to use, with detent float. But I'm not sure if the angling valve will work. I don't know how to set it up.

4. Flipper

Flipper PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

Diamond used the same hydraulic setups, probably would not be hard to make the pump fit. I would buy it for all the brackets and such if the price seems fair.

None listed on ebay right now. There is a guy in MA that has a ton of NOS clutch pumps. I have bought from him before. I will try to find his ebay ID.

They pop up on ebay now and again.

Show me a pic of your valve.

I usually just buy the Fisher cable valves off ebay as well. They are bulletproof, easy to install and cheap on ebay. Of course as I said I have done some electric setups recently.

5. Wicked500R

Wicked500R Senior Member

The Diamond mounting kit is 150.00. I talked to the guy today and he said it accepts the Diamond pump witch he said he will sell it to me for 75.00 if I buy the kit. The Diamond pump I don't think is a clutch setup. Spins full time. I suppose I could pop the belt off when there is no snow in the forecast... I found me a complete Conventional Fisher frame and an 8' minute mount blade in good shape less pump.:bluebounc The blade needs a refinish but thats about it. The guy wants 550.00 for the blade and frame. I think its a good deal so I'm gonna jump on that. Then it'll be time to fire up the welders and torches to make the frame fit. It shouldn't be too bad. I'll get a pic of the valves up ASAP. Thanks for all the help!

6. Wicked500R

Wicked500R Senior Member

This is valve setup I'd like to use. I was thinking of building a center console for all the controls...plow, lights, engine kill cable etc...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]