1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Conventional Fisher plow retrofit from 1988 gmc to 1995 gmc

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by JDiMassi, Nov 3, 2008.

1. JDiMassi

JDiMassi Junior Member

ok guys this is gonna seem long as i have a few questions

my old truck 1988 gmc 2500 4x4 auto 5.7 had this plow on it when i bought it i since sold the truck and put the mount on my new truck. no problems bolted right up as it was a belt drive system i couldnt use the belt drive without spending alot for new brackets as the 95 truck has aluminum accessory brackets and the 88 had steel so i couldnt mount the belt pump so............

i picked up a electric fisher pump used my control valve assembly and a plow control that came with the pump for cable type plows

my question is i have 2 wires on the control where do they go to i wired one wire to the solenoid on the electric pump and the plow went up down (couldnt test left and right didnt have plow ontruck) both wires are black ones a female plug the other is a male the female plug i wired to the solenoid and it worked but sometimes would stay stuck on (the pump i mean) im suspecting a bad solenoid as when i tapped it motor stopped

if you guys are interested in some pictures id be willing to take some it may not look pretty but its solid and i think i did a good job i have to tackle the headlight wiring next which i think i found a tech article on fishers website that ill print out at work tomorrow

any input is appreciated guys thanks alot in advance

Joseph DiMassi
    Lopatcong Township Public Works Department

pocono mountains already got a foot of snow can you guys belive that hopefully we all can make some good money this year up here in nj lol
  2. mercer_me

mercer_me PlowSite Fanatic

You should ask the Fisher guy in the comercial plow forum.
  3. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Both wire are grounds. One goes to a good grounding point (metal brace under the dash for example), and the other (as you suspected) goes out to the under hood solenoid to trip the solenoid by way of ground on one of the small terminals. The other small terminal should have a short 12V jumper wire on it over to the battery or the battery side 12V post on the solenoid itself. So when you apply ground to the solenoid by moving the control stick it grounds the relay, thus activating the motor.

And agree, the solenoid is likely sticking due to age/internal corrosion. They're inexpensive, so a replacement is a good idea.
  4. JDiMassi

JDiMassi Junior Member

thanks for the help guys got it working and pretty good too ill take pics when its all done im tackling the headlight wiring today ill let yous know how i make out
  5. JDiMassi

JDiMassi Junior Member

a little confused on the headlight wiring

im wiring the vehicle/plow light switch in and i have no idea where the yellow, orange, green, and red go i know they go on the drivers fender in the trucks wire loom , i think the orange green yellow and red somehow hook up to these

light green which is hot when high beams are on
    tan which is hot when the low beams are on
    brown which is hot on both high and low

so what im asking is where do the yellow orange green and red wires go
    1995 GMC Sierra 2500 Ext Cab 4x4 5 speed 350 engine

i know 2 are for high beam and 2 are for low beam but i have no idea how to wire them in and i couldnt get any info off fisher as im hard wiring everything not using a kit

and also theres a black and white wire that come off the same with the 4 wires i just described they go to where on the plow lights?
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2008
  6. JDiMassi

JDiMassi Junior Member

Headlight Wiring

well i figured it all out and figured i would list it here so if any 1 else needed to know it was here

for everyone hard wiring an older fisher plow to a newer gmc truck this is for you

i cut the light green and tan wires which are your high and low power wires on the drivers side fender and connected as follows

green to light green firewall side
    red to light green headlight side
    yellow to tan firewall side
    orange to tan headlight side

what you just did was split the headlight power so you can use a toggle switch to control plow lights or vehicle lights

then the black wire and white wire get wired to the headlights and you just split them to go to each headlight

black = low beams
    white = high beams

worked very well for me and works correctly so i know it works any questions haha

1995 GMC 2500 headlight wiring for plow lights