1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

conventional Fisher fitment ??s

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Detroitdan, Sep 17, 2011.

1. Detroitdan

Detroitdan PlowSite.com Addict

Quick question, I bought an old conventional Fisher 8' that came off a 79 1/2 ton Chevy, got it all complete down to every last bolt. Originally the plan was to put it on my 82 K30, but I've decided I don't want to. New plan is I'm buying a K5 Blazer, most likely an 88 I found. I'm hoping the 79 1/2 ton setup will fit the 88 k5, does anyone know for sure? I could also get another 8' conventional (I guess it's a Speedcaster, but I've always called them conventionals) that's on an 86 half ton, but I think they're the same anyway.

I also have a really nice 810, I know it's way too heavy for a K5, but I'm sure I could sell it and get enough to get a plow to fit the Blazer. I'd really like a V plow, if Icould find one that wasn't too heavy for it.
  2. DareDog

DareDog PlowSite.com Addict

It will fit, got 78 speed cast here that is now on a 96 1500.
  3. CAT 245ME

CAT 245ME PlowSite.com Addict

The front of the frame on the 88-91 K5 Blazer & Jimmy's are the same as the 87 and older trucks.

To bad you couldn't come across an old conventional Diamond V plow for the K30. They are a little hard to find but would be great for that old truck.

Here's one here but too far away.

4. sweetk30

sweetk30 PlowSite.com Addict

only possibly problems is the serp belt was getting fased in on 87-up motors. so the v belt brackets might not fit from 78.

otherwise as said same frame from 73-87 and up to 91 on blazer/suburban/crewcab.
  5. Detroitdan

I thought it was, but I wasnt sure, and I've been thrown curve balls before. Keep thinking a v-plow would be nice, I'm going to be at a disadvantage plowing with a little tiny lightweight vehicle for a change.

If I was going to plow with the K30, I could always put my Blizzard 810 on it. Now that would move some snow! Only way I would do that is if I was going to work for the highway dept plowing roads, because this thing will not work in driveways. And if I was plowing roads I wouldn't really need the Blizzard, a big straight blade would be cheaper, especially replacing the cutting edges all the time. Be nice for cul de sacs though. Pretty sure I'm going to sell the Blizzard, as much as I loved my first one, I just don't have a truck for it and don't want to buy another one.
  6. sweetk30

sweetk30 PlowSite.com Addict

lots of guys love a short bed or blazer size rig for plowin. much easyer to move around.
  7. Detroitdan

found a k5 with 3/4 ton axles under it, just need to unload my diesel Suburban so I can buy it.
  8. badpeanut

badpeanut Junior Member
    from ND

The only difference in frames between the '73-'80 and '81-'91 ('81-'87 for pickups) is the newer ones have the front frame horns slightly chopped off to accommodate the bumper/air dam which tucks under tighter on the bottom. In other words, when viewed from the front the '73-'80 have a formed tab on the front of the frame so you can't see down the "C" channel and the newer ones are strictly the "C" channel. Factory tow hooks are also different to accommodate the bumper; not sure if the hole pattern is the same.