1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Conventional Angles Right only

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by pennyduke, Feb 9, 2010.

1. pennyduke

pennyduke Member

I have read a bunch of posts about this subject and tried a few things and still have no angle left. Can someone walk me through a step by step process to help me fix it before the snow comes tonight. Please Help!!! It is a Conventional Cable style older plow on a 1989 Suburban K1500. Thanks, Mike

2. twinman326

twinman326 PlowSite.com Addict

Here is a service manual for cable operate plows. Look on page 4-1. read the "angle"(first one). From there it will tell to look at "E" (pg 4-5), "F" (4-6), and "F1"(4-7). From page 5-1, it will show you how to break it down... My advice, download (or save) the pdf to your computer for future reference.

Here is the link
    http://www.westernplows.com/pdf/62880.pdf

3. pennyduke

pennyduke Member

OK, This is what I did so far. I took the pump motor off and cleaned the housing and filter screen. It did have some ice in the bottom from sitting for a few years. I replaced both Couplers and female connections just to be safe. I did all the adjustments in the manual as far as cable travel and it's all good. I also took the cable off and turned the 4 way lever with pliers and it still wont go left. It goes up instead. The up and down work perfect. In F1 it says to adjust the lift valve out. Does this have anything to do with the angle? and how do I check the Ram Nuts? Thanks again

4. twinman326

When you were remove the drain plug to let the fluid out, did you also drain the "Hydra rams" as well (This is also a must to do)?

If not, you need to remove the pressure lines from the housing (make sure you watch were the lines were attach so the lines will be put back into it original place), Put either a 2x4 or a hydraulic jack underneath the blade (making sure the lift cylinder is all the way down) push the blade (by hand) all the way to left, pushing the fluid out, then push the blade all the way to the right. Once the fluid is out of both rams, re-attach the lines back to their original place. Now check the fluid to make sure it is level. Move the blade to the left, wait a couple of seconds, then move it back to the right. Do this twice to make sure all the air is out of the rams. Then move the blade straight.. Recheck the fluid to make sure it level again. After your done checking the fluid and it is level, (remove whatever you use under the blade), using the stick, turn the plow left (wait a couple of seconds) then right, then up and down..Then re-check the fluid again to make sure it is level.

Let see if this will work.

As for your question, let see what happens after you flush the rams out..

Last edited: Feb 9, 2010
  5. pennyduke

pennyduke Member

I'm going to plow all day today with it stuck to the right. I will try to flush the rams when I get home tonight. Thanks, Mike

6. pennyduke

pennyduke Member

OK, I did everything you said step by step and still have the same results. The blade went right just fine and it tries to move left but seems stuck. My up and down work perfect. The fluid level is full and I just plowed a few driveways with it stuck to the right. The fliud was a little milky pink so I changed it again before flushing the rams. What should we do next? Thanks, Mike

7. pennyduke

pennyduke Member

On more thing I forgot to mention. When I move the joy stick left the plow goes up.

8. twinman326

Your cables might be stretch..

When you change the fluid, the would of been the best to flush the rams as well....That needs to be all done at the same time...As for the fluid being "milky", you have moisture, or water getting in from somewhere.....When you pull the motor, did you change the gasket??

Last edited: Feb 10, 2010
  9. no lead

no lead PlowSite.com Addict

switch the hoses around. if it will go the other way then, you know a cylinder isn't locked up. if not, bad cylinder is likely.

10. pennyduke

pennyduke Member

I drained the rams like you said then changed the fluid before reconnecting the hoses back to the rams. This way I have fresh fluid in the rams and pump. When I removed the motor it had no gasket. It was sealed with blue goo. So I used Black goo to reseal it. I have a new gasket on the way. Should I try switching the cylinders next? Thanks, Mike

11. pennyduke

pennyduke Member

I switched the lines and now the blade turns left just fine but wont go back right. It still goes up when I try to move it to the right. I guess this is telling us that the rams are working fine like No Lead said. What should we do next? Thanks, Mike

12. cpsnowremoval

cpsnowremoval Senior Member

i got the same problem
    when i go right it will go but u got to keep moving the stick from the middle to the right real fast then she will turn
    the angling cylinders leak so that must be at least some of the problem
    in the spring i am going to change the seal and clean whatever filter is in there
    its a 2 inch ram so it can handle 9 and 10 foot plows

13. twinman326

cps
    sounds like you have a cable problem

14. twinman326

Penny

In post #2 I put a link on there. In the PDF, look on page 3-5. It shows a "shuttle", and a "check ball". There could be something blocking the passage or the check ball is not doing it job..

15. pennyduke

pennyduke Member

I can't get the large screw loose that holds it in. I may just buy a rebuilt unit off Ebay for $400, instead of screwing with this old unit. This is driving me CRAZY!!!

16. tripper

tripper Junior Member

Sounds like your up down cable is streched or out of adjustment. Up down valve should be in nutral when going left and right. When you are trying to run it left the up down is stil in up. Try running it left while manually turning the up down cam with a pliers.

17. pennyduke

pennyduke Member

I will try that tomarrow. Thanks for all the help everyone. I hope I can get it working before the snow Monday.

18. pennyduke

pennyduke Member

Tripper, I tried what you said and it still will only angle one way. I did notice that the lever will turn more than 180 degrees when I move it with the pliers. Is that normal. The manual shows it only going 90 degees.

19. twinman326

No it is not normal.....If you look on pg 5-4 (in the pdf) there is a cushion valve, you might want to check it..5-3 and on will show how to break down the pump housing

20. pennyduke

pennyduke Member

I just plowed with the blade locked straight for about an hour. When I was finished I unlocked the blade and now the blade goes left and right. When I go right the motor has a high pitch sound and moves slower than going left. is it possible for the plow to fix itself? I dont know if it will hold the angle or not but I will try that tomorrow. This is Great. Thanks, Mike