1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by lazybones, Feb 19, 2003.

1. lazybones

lazybones Junior Member

Which type controllers are are your favorite, keypad, joystick, etc.
    I am not familiar with all the differnet brands but will be looking into a second plow soon and would like to hear some opinions on what you favor, why, and how you have them mounted, thanks
  2. John DiMartino

John DiMartino PlowSite.com Veteran

I have a big joystick on my Boss V plow(this is my favorite controller by far).I also have the hand held controller on my Western V.This is the worst controller ive ever used,by far.I have the small 4 way joysticks for my fisher/western straight blades.These have been good to me,they work well,and I like them. I think the hand held one could be my favorite if it was designed right.The problem withthe boss joystick is its big,and not a lot of options for mounting it.I mount mien on my drivers door,it comes with a velcro stip ,and a stainless hook that slides down int othe window channnel,thi holds it in place pretty good.When im done plowing, iunhook it,and out it in the back seat.
  3. 66Construction

66Construction Senior Member

I realy like my fish stick but I know the controler John is talking about. The first time I saw on it was on an SMG truck. I couldnt believe it, it slid in next to the window I believe and it was very easy to take off and put in the glove box, it was like a video game cotroler, well maybe not now but everyone remembers atari right.... The driver loved it too. With that control and everything about the efficiency of v plows I may have to get a boss. I like my fish stick but the holder fell off and it's forever on the floor or something.
  4. 02 F550

02 F550 Junior Member

yes i have fish stick i really like it took a few minutes to get use to but i like that i can have my arm hanging out the windo runing the plow.
  5. bgrover

bgrover Member

I have a Boss straight blade and bought the optional SmartTouch handheld controller. I find I like it very well. When I'm plowing I drive with my left hand and shift my automatic with my right. I find I can hold the controller in my right hand and move the shift lever without any problems.
  6. litle green guy

litle green guy Senior Member

I have a meyer touch pad in my truck and I like that because that what I'm used to. I like the western joysticks but I've tried to plow with them and I can't make any time becuase I'm so used to the touch pad. I have my touch pad velcroed onto my center console so I can have my arm on the armrest and use the contoler at the same time.
  7. KLC99

KLC99 Senior Member

I do like my meyer touchpad. Steer and shift (auto) with my left hand and operate the pad upside down (forward arrow for drop, backward facing arrow for lift) on my center armrest.
  8. Land Design

Land Design Member

currently running a 02 boss with the smart touch handheld, i like it its comfortable and easy to shift with it in my right hand also. when not in use i put it in the dash cut out on my 02 f350. I used to run a meyer touch pad- 1999 on a 97f350, it was ok.........a little bulky but i got used to it. Ran western hand held along time ago, if i remember right it was similar to the boss samrt touch as far as shape. either way i recommend boss and its smart touch

p.s. what is the blizzard controller like for those running them?

Land Design
    (if anything doesn't make sense its cause i'm typing and sick)
  9. jsaunders

jsaunders Senior Member

I bought the optional joystick controller for my 8611. I mounted it on the door and I like it. It is very LARGE compaired to the fisher 4 way. I have the standard toggle controller that came with the plow sitting on the kitchen table( thats what I think of that controller):gunsfiring: Joel
  10. BOSS 444

BOSS 444 Member
    from In.

Boss joystick

The Boss joystick is pretty hard to beat, especailly on a V-blade. The way its layed out, easy to learn & use. It is kind of big, but I feel that just makes it that much easier to use. The one in the 88' is mounted to the center console (wood). My 99' SD w/ 40/20/40 'flip-up' type seat posed a little more of a problem though. Ended up making a 3-sided plywood box that rests over top of the center seat,(under the flip-up arm rest), to mount it to. This was a temperary fix, but, I like the location of the joystick so well that this is the way it stayed. Hard to explain location I guess, but, if you lay your right arm on the center arm rest, like it would naturally fall, then right there in your hand you'll find the plow controls. Western spreader control box is mounted to the right side of the Boss joystick pedestal. Works very well.

Used a friend Western MVP (handheld) w/ the different modes & what not, all I could think of was why make this harder than it has to be? Didn't seem to get the hang of it, but like everything else, I supose time w/ it would help. Not for me.

The meyer is the old 'dualling' toggle switch set up. Its mounted to the dash by the right knee. Not the worst in the world, but not the best either.

Back up truck has the 'old' western T-handle...PITA

Just my .03$
  11. SnowGodFather

SnowGodFather Member

12. Lawn Lad

Lawn Lad Senior Member

On our SnoWay's we didn't use the factory box - we converted the Meyer's "slick stick" switches and mounted them either in the dash board ('91, '94 model GMC's) or on the Meyer angle bracket mounted to a piece of angle iron in the dash board where we made a little cut out to the left of the steering wheel where the two pieces of dash met. ('97, '98 GMC's). We added another hole in the bracket for the down pressure and light and had to modify the down switch with another tab. I liked this much better than the rocker switches which I had in my first truck. The SnoWay controller box should have the wire coming out of the bottom of the box so it can be mounted, I had to flip my switches up side down to mount it on the dash board so the wires could be routed easily under the dash. The rocker switches eventually tired my thumb, where as the meyer switches were easy to operate and easy on the hands after a night of plowing.

This year we bought three Boss V's. We use the touch pad controller. Ran it to the along the driver side door and then rest it in our lap or operate it with our left hand while we steer/shift with our right. When we get out of the truck we hang it over the steering column.
  13. CPSS

CPSS Senior Member

Fisher Fish Stick with custom mounting.

14. hyperpack

hyperpack Senior Member

Under Control

I have used old and new joysticks and several toggle/rocker switch controllers, My favorite is a boss rocker type. It lays on the seat, No holes to drill in the dash. Ever notice the tired back and sore shoulder after streching for hours to reach the mounted controller, Also when you start to feel your shoulder and elbow start to ache from steering, Switch to the other hand, Makes the night a little shorter.I priced one of the fancy touchpads it was nearly $150 the rockers or toggle switches are about $6 each, I have replaced one hoist switch in ten years.
  15. Arc Burn

Arc Burn PlowSite.com Addict

Fish stick-but honestly can't compare any others,these are all i have used(besides the old toggle switch garbage!)I can hold it in my right hand and still shift,when not in use during the winter i just hand it over the steering column.The only thing i did not like was the coiled controll wire is stiff when new and wants to snap back out of your hand!A couple long tugs on it usually stretches that out a bit:D
  16. Chief Plow

Chief Plow Senior Member

After years of rods and joy sticks. I really like the fishstick. It took some gettting used to, but it seems to be the best that I have used...