1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Controller

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by snowtime, Sep 19, 2005.

1. snowtime

snowtime Junior Member
    from Ohio

I'm looking at fixing up an old plow, and old Meyer ?? something. I've got what looks like a Monarch controller.

I've been poking around plowsite and the mfg websites. This controller has no "hold" position, i.e. its either lift or float, I can't lock it in position.

Should I care? Is that a gimmick or would I actually use it? I've never used it before (never even thought about it).

Any comments?

2. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

well, when you stop "lifting" it should stay at that height- I have never seen a plow setup without that- there is no specific "hold" feature on any blade- they all automatically hold their height from what I have seen.

3. snowtime

snowtime Junior Member
    from Ohio

Sorry, you're right, I've got it backwards.

I don't have the "float" feature, i.e. it will stay at the height I pick. Some have a latching relay that keep it in "lower" mode until you reset it.

4. Eyesell

Eyesell 2000 Club Member

When I'm plowing mine is always in float, most all of my lots have those dreadful speed bumps :realmad: plow goes over them nicely at slower speeds :nod:

5. mikes plowing

mikes plowing Member
    from cent pa

Are you talking abought the 3 switch set up for the meyer? If so when you push the switch for it to lower it should stay down that is the float.

6. Eyesell

Eyesell 2000 Club Member

Mine's a BOSS, if you just lower the plow the switch stays green, if you hit the talked about speed bumps the hole truck feels like you hit something hard. If you lower the plow and hold the switch in the lower position, it turns red and now the plow is in the float mode....hit the speed bumps and it goes right over the contour of the bump.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2005
  7. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

if it's a chain lift all the way down is float by nature of design- only the solid link systems need a special float circuit to release the hydraulic pressure.

8. mook

mook Junior Member
    from Ohio

there should be a light on the controller to indicate float position.

9. snowtime

snowtime Junior Member
    from Ohio

Its a Monarch controller, aftermarket. No float function. If I let go of the button it holds the plow in position. It does "float" in that it will ride over an obstacle, but if there is a dip in the road it won't go down any farther.

I guess I'll live with it. The point about the chain makes me feel better - I wasn't thinking about that.

10. 84deisel

84deisel Senior Member

not all live central hydraulic systems have float.On my big ford I have to hold the down lever to let the blade float and it is linked to the truck with 3 lift chains.

11. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

once the lift ram is retracted all the way that's all it can go on any system so if you're plowing a driveway with the blade down, and there is a dip in the pavement, the blade should pull the ram down in float all the way until the blade hits the ground just like you'd expect. But remember there can be dips in the pavement too deep for the blade to reach the bottom after the lift ram has bottomed- I have a couple of drives that have a similar situation where there are spots the blade won't touch. It may not be a lack of float, it may be you're chains are too short.

If I lengthen my chains the blade won;t lift high enough for my prefrence so I put up with it.