1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

controller repairs

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by smittyks, Feb 6, 2007.

1. smittyks

smittyks Junior Member
    from canada

Does anybody have access to electronic schematics for controllers? Fisher, Boss, Western, etc. I have done many electronic repairs on these and can offer some tips, but they are getting more complex, and difficult without schematics and electronic theory.

Amazing site, by the way.

tks

2. joeman

joeman Junior Member

Meyer Controller

I don't have any schematics but I do have a fried Meyer contoller I'd like to fix!!

3. smittyks

smittyks Junior Member
    from canada

fried meyer

hand held or joystick? How fried? does it power up? any functions working at all?

4. MBB

MBB Senior Member

Got a simple grotech control, works on/off but no variable. led bar on front varies with reostat but not the motor. 4 leads +/- to bat., +/- to salter, not grounded to truck frame any where else. No schematic . Possible to repair?

5. smittyks

smittyks Junior Member
    from canada

salter controller

Haven't worked on this type of controller. Sounds like it works on variable current or variable voltage to the salter speed control. You could try putting a meter on the two wires to the spreader and measure for voltage (dc) in parrallel or series current (mA) difference as you vary the controller. This way you narrow down if the problem is in the controller or spreader.

have you tried searching the manufacturer's website for a manual? There are usually troubleshooting guides.

Sorry I can't help any further here.

6. joeman

joeman Junior Member

Fried Controller

Its a the older flush faced square type controller...when you filp it on it blows the 10 amp fuse, overload light flashes for about a second then it blows the fuse?..I opened it up..no visable burns on the circuit board but it does have a bit of that burned electrical smell!

7. smittyks

smittyks Junior Member
    from canada

burned elect. smell

Dosen't sound good. There ususally isn't much hope after that smell. Are you sure the problem originated from the controller. Try unplugging the connector in front of the truck that goes to your plow, and flip the controller on and look for obvious wiring breaks to ensure there isn't a short to ground somewhere (under dash for example).

8. animal70X7

animal70X7 Junior Member
    from West MI

Western's site has the schematics for the wiring.