Snow Plowing Forum banner

controller repairs

1K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  animal70X7 
#1 ·
Does anybody have access to electronic schematics for controllers? Fisher, Boss, Western, etc. I have done many electronic repairs on these and can offer some tips, but they are getting more complex, and difficult without schematics and electronic theory.

Amazing site, by the way.

tks

#5 ·
salter controller

Haven't worked on this type of controller. Sounds like it works on variable current or variable voltage to the salter speed control. You could try putting a meter on the two wires to the spreader and measure for voltage (dc) in parrallel or series current (mA) difference as you vary the controller. This way you narrow down if the problem is in the controller or spreader.

have you tried searching the manufacturer's website for a manual? There are usually troubleshooting guides.

Sorry I can't help any further here.

#6 ·
Fried Controller

Its a the older flush faced square type controller...when you filp it on it blows the 10 amp fuse, overload light flashes for about a second then it blows the fuse?..I opened it up..no visable burns on the circuit board but it does have a bit of that burned electrical smell!

#7 ·
burned elect. smell

Dosen't sound good. There ususally isn't much hope after that smell. Are you sure the problem originated from the controller. Try unplugging the connector in front of the truck that goes to your plow, and flip the controller on and look for obvious wiring breaks to ensure there isn't a short to ground somewhere (under dash for example).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.