1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Controller repair

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by Dogplow Dodge, Jan 12, 2016.

1. Dogplow Dodge

Dogplow Dodge PlowSite Veteran
    from NJ

I have this spare controller for my brick's looneymount. The wiring casing is falling off, so I can only assume it's original to the plow. Controller works fine, so no need to throw out.

Any ideas on how to recover the wire? I'd like to keep it as a spare, but at the same time, I'd like to repair the wire coming out of it. Each time I place a little repair tape on it, just adjacent to it falls apart the covering is simply disintegrating.

TIA

Last edited: Feb 4, 2016
  2. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

Geee.. Stimey,
    Replace the cord , take the cord off and cover it with heat shrink or Go get a new one ,ya cheap skate.
    Maybe you can find a copy made in China.

3. k1768

k1768 Senior Member
    from NJ

Not knowing much about Westerns I took a quick look at the parts lookup and just picked a model. $100 for the cable!
    If only using it as a spare, I'd just pick up some trailer wiring and replace the whole thing with that. If you can get the old pins out o the plug and new pins in, that'd be best, otherwise solder and heat shrink.

4. rjigto4oje

rjigto4oje PlowSite.com Addict

Contact your dealer. Mine went bad I think it was about 50 dollars

5. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

Can you just buy the pigtail, the other option would be fine the cord and make your own.
    This might work
    http://www.westernplowpartstore.com...rn-part-96437-harness-hh-str-blade-6-pin.html

Last edited: Jan 12, 2016
  6. Dogplow Dodge

from NJ

Thanks.... It's just a spare... works perfectly fine. Just didn't want to toss it out before asking what others have done.

The cable end looks like it's available through Buff's link. I'll stop by there tomorrow and see what they have in stock, or not.

Thanks Big man...... Will see if they have it

7. tjctransport

tjctransport PlowSite.com Addict

undo the wires, paint with 3-4 coats of liquid tape, cover with heat shrink tubing, heat it, than reassemble.

8. Dogplow Dodge

from NJ

I was thinking of using this tape, which I've seem to have found to be an invaluable product to keep on hand. Doesn't stick to substrates, but fuses to itself once it's overlapped. Really great stuff. Nice as handle cushions for tools too..

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00HWROLIG?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00

I'll putz around with it first, and see where it leads. If it doesn't go well, I'll just buy a new cable

9. Randall Ave

Randall Ave 2000 Club Member

Get some friction tape and try that. Home Deeps has it at the electrical section. Thumbs Up

10. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

Mine is 7 years old and looks great.... Wow, that's been thru hell

11. Dogplow Dodge

from NJ

It's almost as if someone put some sort of chemical on it, and it reacted negatively with the rubber coating....

12. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

New cord part number is 96437 Item 51 on this parts poster http://library.westernplows.com/westernplows/pdffiles/29013.04_110109_for_Web.pdf

Unfortunately I believe that the cord is not cheep from Western but you get what you pay for. Maybe with this part number you can find cheaper aftermarket... maybe even made in China if you don't want to support your American economy.

I did a quick Google search and came up with this one for $37 US http://www.storksplows.com/96437-we...trol-harness-6-pin-white-plug-56462-9400.html

13. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

^^^^^ says the Canadian

14. Dogplow Dodge

from NJ

Looks like Storks is the place to order from, eh ?

Thank you kindly Mr. MichnickThumbs UpThumbs Up

Actually, It's available at the local (40 min) western dealer for $33.10, so at this point, it's a no brainer and I'll be picking it up tomorrow.

Thanks again !

15. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

Your prices in the US are so much less than up here in the great white north.... The last one I installed cost the owner almost $100. Can't imagine what it costs here now with the Cdn dollar being so low.

16. kimber750

kimber750 PlowSite Veteran

Or you could ask your good buddy Kimber if you could have one of the cords off one of his dead controls.

17. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

That would make waaaaay toooooooo mulch sense........ :drinkup::drinkup:

18. Dogplow Dodge

from NJ

If I knew....then I wouldn't have bothered ordering it....

I thought you were Mr Meyer....

Not Oscar....just the yellow koolaid Meyer

Oh well... Loin something hoo ebery daa:salute:

19. kimber750

kimber750 PlowSite Veteran

Jack of all trades, master of none. Thumbs Up

20. Randall Ave

Randall Ave 2000 Club Member

From what I've seen yur pretty good at first aid. ;)