1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Controller position?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by CityGuy, Feb 7, 2009.

Where do you mount your control?

1. Right hand side of steering wheel?

2. Left hand side of steering wheel?

3. Hand held controler?

4. Other

1. CityGuy

CityGuy PlowSite Fanatic

Where do you guys mount your controlers? Or do you prefer hand held?
  2. augerandblade

augerandblade PlowSite.com Addict

tymusic08 Dodge gota centre console, covered it with plastic ( protect it againstfast food) Then taped the controller in a position suitable to the driver on to the console to be removed in the spring
  3. onemanshow

onemanshow Junior Member
    from alaska

Mines mounted to a bracket that hangs on the drivers door.
  4. Woodland

Woodland Senior Member

I have a hand held controller. When I'm plowing it is in my hand or laying in my lap when driving. If I'm not plowing but plow is attached, I stuff the handle between the seats so I can still use it without it being in the way.
  5. yard5864

yard5864 Senior Member

Ditto for me.
  6. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

I have my joystick mounted on the shifter. dont need to go find it between shifting, dont have to let go of the shifter to use it.
  7. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

ditto x2 for me
  8. deere615

deere615 2000 Club Member

Handheld-in my hand while plowing usually on my lap while driving-otherwise I have it velcroedon the right hand side down low
  9. MileHigh

MileHigh PlowSite.com Addict

I velcro my handheld to the dash on the left side when driving or not plowing..

with my joystick on my backup plow...it's mounted on the left.
  10. creativedesigns

creativedesigns PlowSite.com Addict

Hand held is the best way to go. ( like the fish stik ) its safer & you can switch gears with the stik in hand at the same time! You arm doesnt get tired!
  11. Cassy

Cassy Senior Member

i've got mind mounted on a center armrest console I made for my truck. took a little getting use to, but works out fine now
  12. AndyTblc

AndyTblc Senior Member

Mine sits on the seat in the middle, I have the rocker switch type, but I wish I had a hand held, because I'm left handed, and doing it on the right, just isn't cutting it.
  13. Mike N

Mike N Senior Member

Right side, bolted to the dashboard above the ashtray.
  14. flatlander42

flatlander42 Senior Member

i use the hand held

I have it in my right hand while I plow, beings I have to shift too (manual tranny)
    my hands are big enough that I can just hold the shifter and the controller at the same time.
    and I toss it in my lap or under the arm rest while I drive to the next place.
    works well for me.

15. ogdenflooring

ogdenflooring Member

Handheld, Right hand, lap, and stuffed between the seats
  16. Dodge Plow Pwr

Dodge Plow Pwr Senior Member

I have the magnet mounted fish stick in one truck with it put right by the center console next to the spreader controls. My hand never has to move far.
    I have a hand held in the other truck, but I have never used it yet. Maybe at the next snow we will see how it is.:drinkup:
  17. Dirtboy953B

Dirtboy953B Senior Member

All of my truck's are stick shift and I have the controllers mounted to the shifters,it's the only way to plowsnow!!!
  18. M&A Property Maintenance

M&A Property Maintenance Senior Member

My fishstick is in between the drivers seat and the middle seat. works good for me
  19. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

Dodge, box is on the left side of the wheel on the dash all year. No problems- auto so shifting is minimal.
    Chevy was cable controlled- stick also on left side of wheel on dash, learned to plow in it- and it's stick. Guess since I've known no other location.... but I can't imagine trying to shift in either truck and work the plow with the same hand since I have no handheld. Rode with a guy this winter who uses the FishStick and liked it much better, but I'm not sure it's really any better for me.
  20. Ipushsnow

Ipushsnow Senior Member

Hand held unit and I used to hold in my hand. Now I stuff it between the seats and work it from there. Hard to get used to at first, but love it now. Forearm rests on the arm rest and the natural position of the hand goes right to the controller. VERY NICE.