1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Controller / Plow Problem

Discussion in 'Hiniker' started by 59medic, Dec 29, 2009.

1. 59medic

59medic Member
    from Ohio

Was plowing last night and everything worked fine. Tonight lifted plow went to plow made one pass, plow would not lift or angle. Controller light is green, do not hear the solenoid click when I move the controller switch. Put a new solenoid in still nothing. Was able to raise the plow by jumping small post on solenoid with a hot wire. Any ideas what the problem might be? Thanks

2. fabcraftinc

fabcraftinc Member

What year plow and model is it? Is the solenoid grounded well? Are you able to try a different controller?

3. Snowzilla

Snowzilla Senior Member
    from Iowa

Check you harness connections at grill. On the contoller...I have had my controller become quirky at times. The rubber washer that keeps dirt from getting into toggle switch is missing. I took my controller apart and cleaned the toggle switch with some electrical cleaner and compressed air.

The controllers are expensive to replace without good reason. A Hiniker dealer near me offers to solder in a new toggle switch for $80 because that is usually the part that wears out.

4. mzgloves20

mzgloves20 Member

Bad night for me too. Controller wires in cab melted, inline fuse popped, and the lift valve actuator on the pump melted. Bad bad bad when its snowing like a b*&^h!!

5. 59medic

59medic Member
    from Ohio

Thanks for the replies I am checking all the connections again, going to ground the solenoid better. It is working sporadic at this time. Unfortunately I do not have another controller to try to rule out the toggle switch. May have to look into getting another controller or getting a new switch to solder in as my switch is not changeable. The plow is an 8' straight blade. Thanks for the replies and ideas of things to check.

6. ltschmitz

ltschmitz Junior Member

Can I get your dealers name and number? Local dealer here tells me the joystick is not replacable! My son in law does electronics and asays if I can get the part, he can install it for me. Thanks Larry

7. Snowzilla

Snowzilla Senior Member
    from Iowa

PM me. I seem to be unable to PM you.

...Another idea on electronics cleaners. Radio Shack has Tuner Control cleaner & lubricant in an aerosol can. Used to solve static when adjusting volumes on radios etc.

8. ltschmitz

ltschmitz Junior Member

I don't know what PM is?!

9. Snowzilla

Snowzilla Senior Member
    from Iowa

Sorry. Send me a Private Message for dealer details

Login. Click on your username. Click on User CP. Under Private Messages, Send New Message. You may have your may have your Private Messaging disabled under Edit Options.

10. mzgloves20

mzgloves20 Member

Well got controller fixed... at least I thought...

Worked for a day. Now I have no angle to right control. Left, up, and down work. Right does nothing BUT sometimes raises the plow.

Tired a buddies control and it does the same thing...

I'd like to go a day w/o something breaking!

Last edited: Jan 3, 2010
  11. 59medic

59medic Member
    from Ohio

My controller is now working. Took it apart like snowzilla suggested and cleaned it with electronics cleaner and compressed air, works good now! Thanks

12. fabcraftinc

fabcraftinc Member

Some of the controllers start with a serial number (letters) SR. Those switches have a replacable joystick that snaps in. The cost for the replacement is $40 and about five minutes.

13. NICHOLS LANDSCA

NICHOLS LANDSCA PlowSite Veteran

The newer controllers just pop in like previously said, the older ones have to be soldered in. Just did it on the 97' I'll try and find the p#