1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Controller or valve issue on plow

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by PlowTeam5, Dec 31, 2012.

1. PlowTeam5

PlowTeam5 Senior Member

I have a straight 7'6" boss plow. Bought it in 2010. Didnt get much use last year as we had no snow. This year everything works fine, but every so often if I have the blade angled either way for a long stretch of a plow and go to straighten it or angle it the opposite way, when I hit the button on the controller nothing will happen. I have to hit it 3-4 times before it does anything. Sometime it will actually raise the plow instead of turning it. But here is the kicker, if I hit the up/down button first then hit the angle button it works fine. I cleaned all the plugs on the connectors and fluid is good. Its only happens so often, not all the time. Could this be an issue with the controller or more of a valve issue. Or by chance can this be a voltage issue, My batterys in my truck is about 4 years old, diesel, but seem fine. I had them checked and they checked out ok. One was alittle on the low side but the guy at the auto store said to just toss it on the charger for a night and it should be fine.
  2. MikeRi24

MikeRi24 Senior Member

Sounds like a controller problem to me. I had a similar problem this year, I had an older handheld controller and after years of being dropped on the floor and getting moisture in it, the circuit board inside had had enough. It was really finicky like you're describing. I just bought a whole new controller because I wanted the express up and down feature on the newer ones. In my research I did find that you can replace just the circuit board inside the controller, it was about $140 I think but maybe its cheaper for a straight blade.
  3. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Mike hit it, it's a faulty controller for sure. Unlike most brands Boss doesn't "perform the wrong function" unless the controller is bad as they only use one valve per function. Most of the other stuff needs multiple valves simultaneity to perform a function so when one doesn't activate properly they will perform the wrong function. Not so on a Boss which makes diagnosis very easy.
  4. P&M Landscaping

P&M Landscaping Senior Member

Would your pump run when you would hit the angle button? My plow is doing the exact same thing.
  5. PlowTeam5

PlowTeam5 Senior Member

No it wouldn't do anything unless I hit another button.