1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

controller or auger motor? SHPE 2000

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by dieselboy01, Jan 27, 2015.

1. dieselboy01

dieselboy01 Senior Member

My Saltdogg 2000 is starting to have a miner issue. I'd like to fix it before it just quits. When I come to a stop or have to back up I'll turn the auger off and let the vibrator and spinner keep running until I'm done salting. A few times I've turned the auger and the vibrator off at the same time when stopped or turning around. When I turn the auger back on and flip the vib switch the auger number will start to flash like it's jammed, then reverse, then crank up to 9 to "un-clog" dumping a lot of salt for a few seconds and stop at the number I set it at.

I know the controllers are junk, I just don't know if it's a controller issue or if it's the auger motor dying.

Karrie controllers are still back ordered for a few weeks, otherwise I'd have one by now.

Any thoughts?

2. John_DeereGreen

John_DeereGreen PlowSite.com Addict

That's what ours all do when they go into overload or jam mode. It stops, tries to clear its self, and as soon as it starts running the correct direction it turns up all the way, like if you had turned the power switch from off to on.

Does it with Karrier controllers, not the overpriced Buyers junk digital ones.

I didn't know it was supposed to do anything different.

3. dieselboy01

I understand it does it when it's jammed, or when you first turn it on. But mine is doing this when I turn the vibrator off and the auger down to zero, then turn the auger back up and the vibrator back on. I don't remember it doing this from day one.

4. John_DeereGreen

I noticed yesterday mine is doing the same thing. So I started turning the auger knob to 1 instead of 0 and it doesn't do it. With salt in the box, the auger on 1 doesn't really even turn.

Does it do it if you leave the vibrator on but turn the auger to 0?

5. dieselboy01

No it doesn't, it mainly does it when I turn the vibrator on with a low auger speed. I notice it more when turning the vibrator on vs adjusting the auger.

6. John_DeereGreen

I wonder if you turning the vibrator on, the controller is somehow sensing a drop in voltage to the auger, and thinks it's jammed causing it to go into siezure mode.

I don't know exactly how it all works, just a thought. Do you have a known good controller to try it with?

7. dieselboy01

That's kinda my thinking too. I do not have a controller to test this with. I've been trying to get a Karrier for the past few weeks to replace this one to prevent a 2am malfunction.

I'm just unsure if its the controller or the auger motor. I would guess controller just because they are known to go bad and this one is a few years old.

I also don't know how to tell if the auger motor is bad. I'm guessing it would just stop working.

8. procuts0103

procuts0103 Senior Member

All I do is turn off the vibrator then lower to 0. Then I turn up the auger usually only 2 or 3 then flip the vibrator switch. Give it a few seconds. Also last year I had a bunch of complaints to where I wanted to sell it. Jarret knows this! This year I installed new batteries in the truck and knock on wood it's becoming my favorite spreader to use now! No problems at all...

9. dieselboy01

Procuts0103, that's the same thing I'm doing, but when I turn the auger back up (usually to 2) then I flip the vib on, the auger number flashes and the spreader dumps salt for a few seconds (like the auger is set on 9) then it tapers off to 2 and the vib turns on.

10. John_DeereGreen

Ya, I'd bet it's probably the contoller. I can't see the auger motor causing that kind of stupid stuff.

11. dieselboy01

That was my thinking. Hopefully it will last until Karrier gets more in.

12. snowplows1

snowplows1 Junior Member

Wireless spreader controller Snowplows Plus

I bought a wireless controller from snowplows plus and got rid of many problems. no more module box or hard wired controller in my cab. Its not lighted but works great.

13. dieselboy01

I don't know if I'd trust a wireless controller, I had a wireless printer that never seemed to work right. I'd hate to reprogram things at 3am just to get it to spread.

14. John_DeereGreen

X2. I can cobble wiring to make it work if needed, but I can't cobble wireless crap.

I'm convinced this industry will bring out the inner redneck cobbling ideas in anyone.

15. dieselboy01

That's exactly it! Hard wiring to me is fool proof (most of the time) Wireless is just using magic and batteries.

I think that wireless guy is just pushing for that company. I saw another thread on here about him "recommending" them.