1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Controller on left or right???

Discussion in 'Equipment, Tools & Vehicle Pictures' started by fatboy, Feb 12, 2007.

1. fatboy

fatboy Senior Member

I have to ask this...I see allot of your plow controllers mounted on your right side...WHY!
    don't get me wrong I don't think there is anything wrong with it but just looking for individual reasons for it, I've always had them mounted on the left so as to never have to take my hand off the control and my right hand does the steering and gear selection.

2. PowerWagon

PowerWagon Senior Member

I just moved my to the left side, yeah it seem to be free use on the right hand more than the left.

3. iakentdoz

iakentdoz Senior Member

I'm left handed and like to use my left hand to steer, so it works good for me to have the controller on my right side.

4. blk90s13

blk90s13 PlowSite.com Addict

same here steering with the right hand seems weird to me too

5. THEGOLDPRO

THEGOLDPRO PlowSite Veteran

mines on left but i have a stick shift.

6. rfed32

rfed32 Senior Member

when i drove stick it was on the right...it was mounted right near the shifter....now that i have an auto i spent the money for the cab comand for my western

7. All_Clear

All_Clear Senior Member

My bronco had it on the left but being left handed i found it easier to use. But i can use either.

Preferably I'd take a handheld or remote and use my left hand though, steer with my right.

All Clear

8. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping 2000 Club Member

plow control on left, shift and steer with right hand, just what i have always done before and it's what i like!

9. dodgeguy99

dodgeguy99 Senior Member
    from mn

i steer with my left hand and hold the controller in my right hand while i shift

10. jmurphy

jmurphy Member

Fishstik on the left. Steer with the right.wesport

11. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

I have my joystick on the right. I steer with my left hand. As I plow to the end I start raising the plow, then I shift to reverse and if I need the plow higher I continue to raise it.When I finish backing up I shift to drive and then lower the blade as I am moving forward. I have my joystick mounted just in front of my console so I don't have to lean forward in the seat at all.

12. illtc

illtc Junior Member

I'm right handed but I have always steered with my left. I have the controler on the right in front of my arm rest. Its just comfortable for me. I find that using the same hand to shift and control the plow helps keep me from shifting into drive and reverse before the truck is stopped. I think this helps save my trany from any damage.

13. Antnee77

Antnee77 PlowSite.com Addict
    from RI

I've always driven with my left hand due to manual trannies, so even though I drive autos now, I still steer with the left and control the plow with the right.

14. wild bill

wild bill PlowSite.com Addict

plow control

it comes down to what's comfortable to you ,for me the left side is to cramped,I'm right handed,steer with left ,shift and control plow with right .had a manual trans before now auto ,joystick control on tower with brake control just ahead of fold down console so there is lite or strain on body,arm lays on console no stress

15. Bruce'sEx

Bruce'sEx Senior Member

In the truck I drive it's on the right side. for reasons

1. There is already mounting holes from an electric brake controler
    2. It's in the right spot that I can rest my right arm on the center console, and on the plow control
    3. it's also in the right spot that in one motion I can pull shifter down to first and hit the joystick down at the same time.
    4. Also seems to make sure I don't try jamming into reverse or anything before the truck as actually stopped.
    5. Like others I'm right handed, but steer mostly with my left
    6. I just tried it one day and Liked it.

the rest of the trucks is mounted on left side, or is a fish stick

16. THEGOLDPRO

THEGOLDPRO PlowSite Veteran

same here, everyone of my vehicles have been standard shift besides one.

17. RickyGasser

RickyGasser Member

I find with a handshaker, the right side is the best. On a 6-spd tranny, reverse and first gear are up right beside my fisher controller. So, drop the plow with a simple touch of the controller, plow, at the end, shift to reverse, while my hand is by the controller, start lifting and backing up at the same time. When I'm ready to shift into first again tap the controller and off I go. I've got pics on my other computer I'll post later.

18. the_mayor

the_mayor Senior Member

Hold control with my left. Steer and shift with my right.

19. HouseHitter

HouseHitter Junior Member
    from zone 4

same with me

20. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping PlowSite.com Addict

I am used to having the controller on the right side. Last night, I test drove a truck and the dealership had the remote control (meyer's) on the left side. It was different. I am left handed and usually use my left hand to steer so I like it better on the right side.