1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

controller issues

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by aloe, Jan 8, 2016.

1. aloe

aloe Senior Member
    from NY

is it common for controllers to go bad?

my fishstik was 8 yrs old, no issues. this new snowdogg controller is 5 years old & appears to be the root of the problem.

2. Philbilly2

Philbilly2 2000 Club Member

Search: Bad Controller or Controller Issues

You will have plenty of reading info there Thumbs Up

3. aloe

aloe Senior Member
    from NY

youre right, lots of topics! seems like an expensive repair/spare part to have around.

i took mine apart & dont see any tell tale heat damage...a little discoloration around the power button. ill take back out side now that its apart & do some more tests.

4. Philbilly2

Philbilly2 2000 Club Member

In the grand skeem of things it is a cheap item to have an extra. Search ebay daily and they are for sale all the time for cheap. Very common to find one in the spring or summer for less than half of list price.

When I use to have a bunch of trucks, there was always an extra controller in every truck in the emergency plow parts box in each truck. Typically it was a handheld and the trucks had joysticks mounted in them. This gave a backup option to keep the truck on site for a simple controller issue and an option if what ever driver was in the truck preferred the other style controller, he could pull it out and plug it in and run it.

5. aloe

aloe Senior Member
    from NY

i took the controller back outside to test, still apart...just the circuit board & touch pad....i actually got the plow to move...sometimes. i swapped out orange wire for each green & blue & received expected results. sometimes the plow worked fine with just the circuit board & touch pad, other times i got nothing.

unless im missing something else...i think the circuit board on the controller is going bad.

a spare controller is exactly what i will have....gonna get a new controller off ebay 150-170, then after this next storm & i have some cash i will buy the circuit board $125 for my old controller to have as a spare.

local dealer wants $302.00 for a new controller....with any luck i can get 2 for the price of one!

thanks for the help:drinkup:

6. aloe

aloe Senior Member
    from NY

update....new controller arrived wednesday afternoon. I plugged it in & everything worked as new! it was a beautiful thing!

circuit board for the old one is next so i have a spare.

thanks guys!