1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Controller Issues

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by IGETPLOWED, Feb 3, 2011.

1. IGETPLOWED

IGETPLOWED Junior Member

Hi all, any help is appreciated!

I have an older(10+yrs) 8 ft. unimount pro poly blade that I've had for a number of years. Plow works great 98% of the time. Occasionally while I'm working the plow the controller power will turn off. I turn it back on and its fine.

Then other times there is no power at all to the controller. It isn't back lit or anything and I can't get any power to it. I unplug it and plug it back in, sometimes that works other times it doesn't.

I used it today for over 4 hours today without a problem but I never know when its gonna happen. I've been trying to notice a pattern of when it happens but I don't notice any.....

Is the controller going bad?? I don't want to spend all that money just to find out its something else! Thanks again!!

Dan

2. no lead

no lead PlowSite.com Addict

going out on a limb here but check the inline fuse holder under the dash. i have replaced many of the over the years. put the holder down and fiddle with it with the control on. if it shuts off i would replace it.

3. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

I agree with no lead, check under the dash first and follow the controller cable until you find the red wire that seperates from that cable. Follow that and it should go to an inline fuse or your fuse box to an ignition or accessory feed. Check the inline fuse & holder and the connection to the ignition source.

Another thing you should check is your plow plugs. Not sure if you have two or three plugs, either way, there is one wire in one of the plugs that goes into the plow and then connects to ground through the heavy ground cable. If the plug is buggered then vibrations will cause it to loose connection. Each time you loose that connection (or your ignition signal) the controller goes off and you have to turn it back on again.

So check the ign thing first and then check your plugs. If you don't find it then give us what you do learn and we will give you a schematic to trace out. But we need to know some details like if you have an isolation module or relays (probably relays) and what kind of pump assembly it is. A photo of the pump & valve block assembly would help to identify. There are many different schematics so we need to know what it is to get the right diagrams.

4. IGETPLOWED

IGETPLOWED Junior Member

Hey guys,

Thanks for the great advice. I'm working today and don't have my truck. I'll take a look tomorrow and let ya know what I find. Thanks!!

Dan

5. twinman326

twinman326 PlowSite.com Addict

Unimount

Also check the brown/red wire on the solenoid just to make sure it fully intact and clean..While do the same to the black/red wire as well

6. IGETPLOWED

IGETPLOWED Junior Member

Hey guys,

I took your advice today and followed the red wire back. The inline fuse appeared to be normal and all the connections were tight. I continued it back to the fuse panel and it is 'piggy backed' in with the fuse on the panel. The connection seems to be a bit wobbely but I'm not sure how it is supposed to look exactly. The only odd thing to me seemed that it was put into the fuse labeled heater/ac not the fuse for the ignition which is right next to it.

The first picture is the wire and how it is attatched to the fuse. You can see a little gold thing that comes out from the blue connector and just slides over the fuse post. Sorry the photo needs to be rotated to the right.

photo (2).JPG

The other pic is the location of the wire in the fuse panel. The fuse location to the right is for the ignition. Its only a 10 amp fuse though. Should I unplug it from where it is to the ignition. Its worked fine for the longest time where it is now.
    photo.JPG

Let me know what you guys think. Thanks again.

Dan

photo (2).JPG

photo.JPG

7. IGETPLOWED

IGETPLOWED Junior Member

Also heres a picture of my pump that someone asked about and the seliniod under the hood.

photo 1.JPG
    photo 2.JPG

photo 1.JPG

photo 2.JPG

8. twinman326

twinman326 PlowSite.com Addict

take the controller lead and put it on a lug inside the fuse box that only comes on when the ignition key is turn on..The fuse holder should have a 6amp fuse inside of it..Take it off the a/c heater lug..

The wires on the solenoid look like they need to be clean....

9. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

The red wire that is supposed to hook up to ignition / accesory requires very little power. I have seen them running as little as 2 amp fuses. As far as the heater circuit goes that is controlled by the ignition so it would be OK. When I do an install I just take a test light to the blank plugs in the fuse box and find one that is only hot when the key is on. I often don't know what circuit I am connecting to and it does't matter. All that wire does is let the plow system know that the key is in and the vehicle is turned on. The main current draws are taken at the solenoid not through the ignition.

The photos are a bit blurry but I understand the connection at the fuse block was a bit loose. That could certainly cause the system to "brown out" or momentarily disconnect. All it takes is a second of power loss to deactivate the controller. Make sure things are good and tight when you put it back together. And I agree with twinman about the corrosion on the solenoid. Looks like it needs a clean up but be carefull if you try to take it apart because the nuts sometimes break solenoid when you try to loosen them. If you can clean them up put a bit of dialectric grease on the connection when you are done. There is also a battery post anti corrosion spray available that does a good job on the relays. It's kind of a red sticky spray that never really dries or hardens.