1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Controller for homemade Salt spreader

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by Diesel_brad, Nov 8, 2013.

1. Diesel_brad

Diesel_brad Senior Member

Hey guys. My neighbor goes to FL every winter and I take care of his driveway for him for Emergency situations.
    Well this year he bought a small hitch mounted salt spreader for me to use on my Ford Ranger or 4 wheeler.
    The problem is, how to control the electric motor.
    I was thinking about having a trailer plug on it and plug it into my truck plug. Then using my electric brake controller I could operate the electric motor. What do you think? Or would I be better of trying to find a cheap controller(if one exists)

2. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

what kinda salter is it? how many amps is it rated to pull?

3. Diesel_brad

It is a "custom" made one. Has a Dayton motor, not sure of the amps

4. Diesel_brad

3.2 amps. I was thinking about using just a light dimmer switch to turn it on and off with a speed variation

5. dieselss

3.2 at start up too. That's some of the issue. It could have 10.0 at start up and drop dwn to 3.2

6. goel

goel PlowSite.com Addict

I have a snow ex 1875 that we also put a vibrator on. Toggle switch is all it took.

7. Diesel_brad

I really want variable speed

8. dieselss

You can buy a western or aftermarket variable speed controller if you want to go that route.

9. goel

goel PlowSite.com Addict

My version cost 4 bucks new.

10. Diesel_brad

For $300, I don't think so

11. Diesel_brad

Ended up buying a used Fisher/Western controller. Works like a charm on the lowest setting. Just wish the hole in the hopper was big enough for rock salt. Pellets ain't cheap

12. 04hd

04hd Senior Member
    from WI

Just saw this tonight and 3 nights a go I did a rework of my snow ex sr110. I like the spreader nice for me and my 1 man show!! Can take on and off easily to get snow blower out of back. Any way the computer board in it took a crap. I got a 2 wire cigarette plug in extension cut the end and made a plug in for it. The spreader runs at 100% spinner speed which is fine it makes a 20-25 foot path. I should take a couple pictures!

13. Buddhaman

Buddhaman Senior Member

I used a 12v heater control switch for $8. I have high, med and low.

14. Diesel_brad

I wondered about those. wasnt sure how well it would dissipate heat

15. framer1901

framer1901 Senior Member

I searched everywhere for a way to control a small ATV type spreader last year, it came down to buying a 300 buck controller or a heater switch with hi, med and low - I found it at Autozone or something like that, from an old style vehicle.

You'd think at first it'd be easy to control DC voltage but it ain't.