1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

controler help

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by hondarider203, Dec 28, 2012.

1. hondarider203

hondarider203 Member

pushing snow last night i noticed my controller was randomly shutting of. the first couple times i thought maybe i had hit the button. next thing i know it shuts off while I'm looking at it.i checked my power going to the controller and it is good. my question is is it common on a handheld controller for wires to brake or for the PC board to short out?? is there anyway to bench test the controller itself?? any help would be great...

2. RepoMan207

RepoMan207 PlowSite Fanatic
    from Maine

41 views...and not a single post.?.?

It's most likely the grill connector. clean them, inspect them, and grease them. See if it happens again. Also, check the accessory wire, is it fastened into the power source tightly? Some of them came with an inline barrel fuse...half of them were junk. If you have one, chop it out, and get a new one. Speaking of fuses, check the fuse on the control harness (near ISO) (7.5 amp). Check to make sure the solenoid connections are tight. Same with the controller plug under the dash.

To bench test the controller, you need a fisher electrical tester...which you can buy, I have one....somewhere. If the above steps don't help, I can post up the control harness test for you....or you can simply borrow another controller to try to narrow it down.

3. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

There are two things I know of that will shut off the controller. First is that ignition fuse feed mentioned above. Every time the ignition is turned off you must hit the power button to re-enable the plow. So if the fuse or the ignition wire is breaking connection randomly it would explain things. The second issue would be the ground return curcuit. When you plug in your headlight connector, at the grill, there is a loop back wire that just completes a connection to ground. Some flip right back through the plug while others find their ground through the big motor lug and on to the battery through the main power plug. Most later models just have a wire that flips right back through the plug and then goes to ground through a series of disconnects. These wires will all be black with an orange tracer. There are usually two or three of these and if one of them is lose they will simulate the disconnection of the plow, which shuts off the controller just like the ignition. With the vehicle shaking as you drive either of these problems could be responsible.