1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

control snow accum with salt

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by smoothbore2004, Dec 16, 2005.

1. smoothbore2004

smoothbore2004 Member
    from Indiana

Ok guys my buddy was talkin to me about using salt to control the accumulation on my lots. My question is how do i know when to put this salt down? Do you suggest putting it down right when it starts to snow/accumulate then watch it from there or whats the trick to doin it this way. Right now i am plowing when is reaches 2" then salting but he suggest i wouldnt plow as much if i used more salt applications. What do you guys suggest?

2. Thebosssnowplow

Thebosssnowplow Member
    from pa

we salt very heavy right when it starts. I can melt up to 2-3 inches without plowing depening on conditions, time of day, expouser and traffic.

3. Big Dog D

Big Dog D PlowSite.com Addict

Salt when it begins to accumulate. It's very rare that we ever salt ourselves out of a plowing.

4. Keith_480231

Keith_480231 Senior Member

I agree with the above. Can control 2-3 inches with a "good" application of salt. Usually wait till it starts snowing with a little on the ground( Some customers around hear "freak-out" if you are always trying to salt first). Because of the price of salt you are actually making more are'nt you?:nod:Plus less costly on your equipment?

5. Young Pup

Young Pup PlowSite Fanatic

What if you only have a snowfall of 2-3 inches. You salt heavy and you only get a 1 inch accum then. Are you going to plow it. and charge for the normal price. I just wait until we hit the trigger then we plow and salt. We then get money for both of them. I think it is crazy to go out and do a heavy salting and then not get the plow money.

JP

6. Keith_480231

Keith_480231 Senior Member

Yes but you only need one driver and one truck for the salt apps. You still would make more wouldn't you???

7. Jpocket

Jpocket Senior Member

One would think so.

8. Young Pup

Young Pup PlowSite Fanatic

Yes I sure hope you would make money on salt apps.