1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

control box placement

Discussion in 'Snowbear Plows' started by paulplow1968, Nov 17, 2010.

1. paulplow1968

paulplow1968 Junior Member

I just installed a BB200 Snow Bear plow on my 2009 GMC Sierra. Does anyone have any advice on where I should install the winch control box? My battery is on the passenger side and there isn't a good spot to put the box.

2. ranger88den

ranger88den Senior Member

When I purchased my Geo tracker with Snowbear plow, the previous owner ran the control wires thru the A/C drain tube opening (tube removed), into the interior, with the wires running along the driveshaft tunnel and switch located between the seats. Seemed to be a good solution. Battery is on the right (passenger) rear side of engine compartment. Good luck

3. tigers2007

tigers2007 Junior Member
    from Detroit

Buy this: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003Q81782/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_2?pf_rd_p=486539851&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B001ADTRLO&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=1Z7WWYTKF4X2XH9PH4GW

[​IMG]

It will make an easy install. Then you can run a tiny switch to the passenger compartment to run the up/down function. No need to run heavy cables into the passenger compartent. It is basically just a heavy duty reversing relay. Not bad for $18 plus shipping. I have this setup for my S-10. Wired it up and wrapped with with electrical tape and set it in an open pocket near the battery.

4. 00 Ram

00 Ram Senior Member

neat! what did you use for a switch?

Those "handlebar mount" switches that are meant for atv's...no place to mount one of those in my truck; I'd prefer a toggle mounted to the dash.

my original switch just gave up the ghost. at least, I think it did. plow goes up/won't go down.

5. tigers2007

tigers2007 Junior Member
    from Detroit

You would be looking for a momentary ON-OFF-ON switch. Radioshack has them for like $3. It is a plastic toggle but works just fine.

6. FBNemo

FBNemo Junior Member

7. topdj

topdj Senior Member

thats perfect when I was a snowbear user I took 4 small starter solenoids , that item above is the perfect fix for snowbear users. good find

8. 00 Ram

00 Ram Senior Member

how 'bout this one: http://www.promarkoffroad.com/promark-universal-atv-winch-wireless-remote-switch-kit.html

looks like the same thing, only +wireless. make mounting/dismounting the plow easier.

they sell them on ebay for 50 bucks.

just want to make sure its the right thing...

9. FBNemo

FBNemo Junior Member

Here is the thread where I heard about the control I'm using.
    http://www.plowsite.com/showthread.php?t=95005
    Checkout comment #7 regarding the wireless control.
    As for mounting/dismounting the plow, I just have to unplug the two electrical connectors. No biggie for me. Thumbs Up

10. acornish

acornish Senior Member

yeah much nicer setup then the old big cole switch hanging on the window --- i did a relay with on/off/on momentary toggle in the wifes trailblazer, and she loves it cause it dont look ugly, i have ordered a contactor for hers cause the relays due burn out quickly but then again im only using 30amp should be about 70 at least

11. 00 Ram

00 Ram Senior Member

I wonder why the contactor would be any different in the wireless version?

mounting/dismounting: there seems to be a lot of "back and forth" to the cab, sometimes. mostly when dismounting...the plow doesn't always seat properly onto the cart; the forks can slip out of place when its moving down, and then the plow blade winds up not being where its supposed to be, so its back to the cab, raise it up again, back to the front, fuss w/ the cart, back to the cab, ok-this time, the right one is right, but the left one moved out of place, etc, etc. :realmad:
    I was thinking that with the wireless control, I could stand right there and jiggle things into place as necessary.

12. acornish

acornish Senior Member

yeah the wireless would alow that-- but i personally am used to inside controls and dont use the cart, pull up to where i wanna leave it, drop plade on an old 2x6 and put cinder block under a-frame sect. and back away, only drops maybe 1/2 inch, so when i put back on i just use my little trolley jack lift a little and pull foward.