1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

control box bad?...help

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by GTMS, Dec 5, 2006.

1. GTMS

GTMS Senior Member

I have a Buyers 600 lb. hitch mount salt spreader. It was fine when I took it off last year. I just put it on and the dang motor speed won't adjust. It runs full out. Could the control box have gone bad? It's three years old. Any clues? Thanks.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2006
  2. starc

starc Senior Member

I connected my western variable control this year and it smoked and then caught on fire. I removed it and installed an on off switch capable of handling 30+ amps

3. GTMS

GTMS Senior Member

then how do you meter it down for smaller surfaces. I have 10 banks with drive thru's and it's just not practical to run it full speed.

4. Bob Church

Bob Church Member

Omega Controller

Karrier Company has a fix for burnt out controllers. Our Omega brand is affordable and will last for years. It comes with a two year warranty and can be easily connected to your existing wire harness or you can get a new Rhino harness from us if you want to update your system.

Please let me know how we can help.

Bob Church
    President,
    Karrier Company
    Ph: 330-823-9597

5. GTMS

GTMS Senior Member

Bob,

Didn't get your reply in time. Went to the dealer and tried a new box and presto, problem solved. All for a mere $188.00. Now, what will kill me is you to tell me yours is half that. So go ahead. I will keep you in mind. Thank you.

Jason

6. Bob Church

Bob Church Member

The Omega Difference

That's a great price. We purposely don't try to compete against that price. Here's what you get for the extra $32.00.
    "Guardian" short circuit protection: that means the controller will never allow harmful current out of the box and the controller will not burn out even if the motor locks up.
    Selectable start-up mode: You can select the way the controller starts. We built in 4 different start up modes. One of them is "Jack-Hammer." This mode hammers through packed in material at the auger and provide more consistant spinner starts so you don't have to get out of the truck and kick start it.
    The Omega is 95% efficient: That means you get more voltage through the controller to the motor making your spreader stronger.

Anyway, I'm glad you back up and running. Please let me know how we can help.

Bob

7. GTMS

GTMS Senior Member

thank you very much I will keep you in mind, it sounds like it is worth the cost.

8. Snoflo

Snoflo Member

Hey GTMS sorry to hear about the controller. I have heard of several of the original Buyers contollers on earlier models going bad and burning out. You can get a newer replacement at http://ealandscapesupply.com/saltspreaderrepairparts.htm for $127.50 I beleive.

9. Snaaar

Snaaar Member

I've got a Buyer's control box hooked up to a Meyers spreader. It only runs at one speed (blast), which means you have to hold in the switch. That must suck but the guy who runs this truck hasn't complained, and its been this way for at least a year. Plus its a stick shift truck!

I took the box apart and tested it and concluded that the rocker switch is bad. I ordered a replacement for $20 - its an Oslo 3-position rocker switch. Hopefully it'll get here w/in a few days. If that repair doesn't work I'll probably buy one of the replacement controllers.

10. DBL

DBL PlowSite.com Addict

this happened to our meyers spreader box had to buy a new still have the old one. is it fixable?

11. Snaaar

Snaaar Member

New rocker switch didn't help my controller. I guess the speed control itself is to blame here. Unless I can figure how to test/replace it, I'll grudgingly buy a new controller, even though it makes me sick.

12. Snaaar

Snaaar Member

Where the ground wire attaches to the controller housing, it seemed like the paint was never grinded away at the factory or upon original installation. We shined the metal w/ a grinder and re-attached the wire. We ran the other end of the ground wire right to the battery (-) instead of to the C-bracket that the controller sits in.

We then disconnected the + and - cables from the motor, shined the terminals and cable ends, greased everything, and re-assembled. Something did the trick because now the variable speed mode works fine, as well as blast. You can't lose em all.:D

13. Bob Church

Bob Church Member

Rhino Harness System

Karrier also makes the Rhino harness system for spreaders. We have then in single and two stage models. Sometimes it's easier just to replace the harness rather than try to fix the old one. www.karrierco.com

Bob