1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Business Fundamentals' started by KrohnEnterprises, Jul 20, 2003.

1. KrohnEnterprises

KrohnEnterprises Junior Member

Hey guys, I was just wondering if you have a lawyer write up your contracts or if you do them yourself. I've been doing my own since I started. My only fear is not knowing if I have fully covered my butt when I do write my own.

Jim :waving:
  2. Got Grass?

Got Grass? Senior Member

If you write them on your own thats great, but I would defiantly have a lawyer look over it just to make sure.... Just make sure they have experience with "snow plowing". Kinda like if you hired the best accident law firm to represent you in family court. You would end up screwed as they have no clue....
    It's pretty easy to limit your liability for residential contracts with simple but specific words as most people just look at the price & if it's good enough they sign... Commercial contracts are a totally different story & can get quite complicated, depending on who your dealing with.
  3. Lawn Lad

Lawn Lad Senior Member

I would suggest that even if you're doing residential that you better double check with a lawyer since you could be caught on the hook for certain consumer protection laws which require you to have certain statements in your contract written in bold at least 10 or 12 pt in size, etc. There are some very specific things that you must follow if you want to meet the requirements down to the very last letter.

Personally I think some of the requirements would hurt my business more than help it, and I'll risk loosing triple damages plus the cost of the contract on a $250.00 contract rather than include all the legalese in my residential contracts. I'd rather not alert all my customers as to how they can sue me with the information that is required. I put some of it in my contract, but not all of it, but that is my choice and I know what the consequences are.

Work with an attorney for best results and then make your decision as to what you feel/know needs to be in your contract.