1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Contracts with salting/deicing stipulations

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by NJSnowMgt, Aug 25, 2014.

1. NJSnowMgt

NJSnowMgt Junior Member

Most have them, especially all of the nationals. What specifically have some of the contracts you've had said in the past?

We had a walmart a few years back "thankfully no more", and there was a stipulation of not more than one service per 5hr span. Most of us would assume it pertains to de-ice services, and although at times, more is required than that, but we were literally denied thousands in the end because a plowing service between midnight and 8am was signed off for with the 8am time on the paperwork upon completion by store management, and the salting was performed just prior, after the plowing was done.

We've seen two contracts in the past year state a two salting DAILY limit, but plowing every 1-2". In this past winter, could you imagine the lawsuits that would have ensued after 1" pushes at sites and not salted more than twice daily, especially in a 8-12 hour storm? May as well open the check book to your insurance company.

Plowing for say $500 was paid, and salting 1 or 2x was denied for $1000. We will all learn to never sign these contracts in the future.

2. fireside

fireside Senior Member

I have a contract that states no more than 2 applications in a 24 hour period. It also allows a per ton price for spot salting. The contract also states the contractor will decide how and when all work starts, stops and methods used. So I do as I see fit to insure the site is safe.