1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Contracts this Season

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by nate456789, Nov 3, 2009.

1. nate456789

nate456789 Senior Member
    from Indiana

Just curious about the state of the market this year with the economy.
    Are you struggling to secure contracts that would have been easier last season?
    Are your steady customers that you have plowed for for several years going with cheaper contractors?

Are you having to cut your rates to compete?

2. Longae29

Longae29 PlowSite.com Addict

Yes, Yes, No

3. nate456789

nate456789 Senior Member
    from Indiana

Who is taking the business away?
    Existing sub contractors? Stepping up and trying to take a bigger bite?
    Or new people that decided to buy a truck and plow?

4. highlander316

highlander316 Senior Member

no, no, and no.

5. Pat Brigs

Pat Brigs Junior Member

Does the term "fly-by-nighter" sound familar? Guys who don't pay worker's comp (some don't even have liability), in many cases don't have the proper equipment.

Don't worry, the old accounts will call you when the "new cheap guy" doesn't perform...:drinkup:

6. bsuds

bsuds Senior Member

Have had no problems securing contracts. I had all my routs locked in before November, and even turned away a full route. No problems here. My rates stayed just about the same also. The Denver economy is diverse so not as hard hit as other areas, but by no means is great. The snow removal business will never go away. The only way we can be eliminated is if every commercial building installs heated parking lots. I don't think that's going to happen. :drinkup:

7. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Got mine back with a price increase. I did dump one and I'm hoping one comes through to replace it,which is smaller and pays more.

8. cornbinder

cornbinder Senior Member

kept all my old ones plus added 2 apartment complexes (about 80 unit complex) and a 120 unit complex. i have the mowing at the larger complex signed and sealed for spring already, and a good possibility for the 80 unit one also for the mowing. things are looking good down hear in wayne county.

9. Lux Lawn

Lux Lawn PlowSite.com Addict

I still have a lot of contracts out, but it still kind of early for us.
    Plus our weather has been pretty nice lately, people don't think about it yet.

10. atclarkson

atclarkson Member

I'm one of the guys who got a truck and is plowing this year. I hope to make a real go of it tho, I'm in it long term if I like it. (What's not to like about playing with trucks?) lol

Late, but playing with prices. Seeing what gets bites, while avoiding undercutting the locals (besides, most of them are buddies of mine!)

We'll see what happens, but I one of my buddies who runs a couple trucks for the past few years feels alot of the lowballers have been run out with our big winters. Who knows what this year will bring.

11. jblatti13

jblatti13 Senior Member

some contracts still out. weathers been fair lately so not alot of people thinking about it yet. got 80% signed and returned. still looking to add a few more residential or one commercial to give me a full amount of work. but alot of people signed on and i raised the price this year, so no problems really. most of the lowballers got weeded out last winter when the big storm hit and they coudlnt handle it.

12. RepoMan207

RepoMan207 PlowSite Fanatic
    from Maine

Contracts are coming back in at a snails pace. I'm getting alot of nods when sending out follow up calls and emails, but the contracts are coming in alot slower.

The last couple of years have been like this, getting later an later in the season before I see all of the regulars. The weather has been nice here as well hindering the efforts even further. I guess thats the downside of having mostly seasonals.

13. Brant'sLawnCare

Brant'sLawnCare PlowSite.com Addict

No not this year. But I am not having much luck if I have to bid against others. Lots of cheap bidders out there this year.

14. MahonLawnCare

MahonLawnCare Senior Member
    from Ohio

Yes, God Yes, No. I will not lose money to hacks who have no idea what they're doing. Just because you have 1 truck and 1 plow doesn't mean your a professional. You must have proper ins. worker's comp and multiple trucks, salters etc. Most of these blow hards that are trying to steal work do not have any of those....I know everyone has to start somewhere but it seems around here most are starting in commercial throwing out dumb@# numbers and swearing they are properly equipped.....my a$$

15. GatorDL55

GatorDL55 Senior Member

I think Cleveland OH is notorious for this - it seems like every other truck you see has a Meyer mount on the front of it and all the guys are out plowing for beer money.

16. 4700dan

4700dan Senior Member
    from Ohio

I personally think each city should have a registration form for eveyone to fill out if you are going to do any plowing within the city limits, and on that form the need to show proof of insurance and wokers comp. and have it to where other plowers can turn them in and get fined for doing work in the city with out the proper stuff.