1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Contracts that require store signatures from managers?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Ramairfreak98ss, May 15, 2011.

1. Ramairfreak98ss

Ramairfreak98ss PlowSite.com Addict

We've all had these before. What do you do in a situation when one store manager keeps constantly giving your crew problems? One manager in particular at a site this past year refused to sign many sign off sheets for salting and plowing. Times when the storm was over a week prior, the crew would salt, and she'd walk around the perimeter of the large store to ensure we didnt "turn off the salt spreader" ! This would waste tons of our time, mainly because this particular manager was disgruntled that her "private' company shes dealt with in the past didnt get the contract this season so she'd purposely waste our crews time at every chance she'd get :/

The national company would then refuse to pay if we didn't get forms signed and at one point mid storm, i told the crew to walk off and leave it until the manager signed finally for salt... b/c no signature, no payment and at nearly a grand per salting service, thats not coming back on us.

She'd badmouth us to the other store managers/assistants and at various times, they too made comments to our drivers about "piss poor performance", that piles wernt moved a week later "they simply refused to pay the machine rate" , and would tell our crew they didnt need salt, after we already de-iced "not wanting to sign", and call us when there was nothing that needed salting! Twice they called for salt, crew arrives, dry as can be, goes in and manager states someone said they slipped! Then they tell us NOT to salt and that theyre not going to sign a slip because it doesnt need it really... yet we just rushed out there for them alone when every lot we service is dry to the bone.

The manager told the national that we didnt have proper equipment onsite, guys driving too fast, unprofessional, not enough salt etc... We had a F550 w/9' Boss plus wings, suckers 11' wide almost and a 4yard electric spreader, 332D john deere w/ 10' Protech ist push box, snow blower and backup truck.

Keep in mind, LAST season "the managers favorite company" has a older F150 or something with a small 500lb hopper tailgate spreader, old plow and someone let them borrow a 30yr old wheel front end loader with a 14' old box on the front, id assume just to move bulk snow whenever there was a lot. This lawn mower man is apparently better than we are.

We only serviced this ONE lot for USM this year and it will be our last dealing with them for anything.

2. Bajak

Bajak Senior Member

I would just spend my winters in Cuba.:waving:

3. wizardsr

wizardsr PlowSite.com Addict

Freak... Have you ever had a POSITIVE experience in this business??? :confused: With all your whining I'm starting to think you need a new line of work... :dizzy:

4. Bajak

Bajak Senior Member

:laughing::laughing:
    I've been on vacation.
    Ramair is still struggling.

5. northernsweeper

northernsweeper Senior Member

Ramair..I feel your pain. Sometimes its a no win situation. Was there a district rep. you dealt at all with? I would go to that chains district rep. and let him know whats going on. If the 4 or 5 different store managers are going to make it rough for you, its going to be hell to work there. Mabey the district rep. can get them to change their attitudes. If not, I'd tell em bye,bye. Always the problem,to many chiefs not enough braves. Good luck:drinkup:

6. wizardsr

Are you sure??? Is yours self inflicted too???

7. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

At least he doesn't work for white collar criminals.:drinkup:

8. wizardsr

How do you know? :eek:

9. Bossman 92

Bossman 92 PlowSite.com Addict

Wizardsr, I thought the same thing when I read the post. :laughing: Seems like year after year he has bad experiences with everyone.

Good luck Freak! Bossman

10. Rc2505

Rc2505 PlowSite.com Addict

The only people he seems to have problems with is the NSP's. Time to just go get your own accounts, maybe downsize and forget about all these problems. Being big comes with problems of it's own, and working mostly for NSP's come with even bigger problems. I bet if you sit back and think about it you would be much happier with just servicing a handfull of your own accounts, and forget about all the headaches. All the extra equipment can either be sold to somone, or put back in the garage and kept as spares. Good Luck man.

11. Mick76

Mick76 2000 Club Member
    from Maine

Well said!

12. CaptCaveman

CaptCaveman Member

Wine...Wine...Wine...Do you need cheese with that wine? Do your self a favor and take some classes on Business management over the summer and learn how to handle your business and you'll be fine

13. Ramairfreak98ss

Its difficult at least in NJ to bid on anything unless you can take million dollar contracts.

That said, you either sit in the residential sector for years, or you play with the NSPs... i know a lot of companies that have been around for literally 15-25+ years and still smaller than us, because all they service is residential and some commercial on their own.

If i had to go back to last year, or 5 years ago, i wouldn't have done it any different. Of course i only bring my negative situations onto lawn site and plow site so everyone that keeps acting high and mighty about how great you are in business, save that crap for the award ceremonies. Your the same guys that pick on the joe smoe on here with the toyota tacoma pickup and 6.5' sport plow on the front because he "must now know what hes doing"... For every account i complain about on here for make negative comments about, we have 50 other ones without problems.

14. Rc2505

Rc2505 PlowSite.com Addict

I am not trying to be negative about this. I am just stating the obvious. I don't want to get that big. I am very happy where I am at, or just a little bigger. As I stated being big come with problems, and working for NSP's comes with even bigger problems. You can go back through 975 posts, that I wrote, and you will find very few that are negative. I wouldn't even call the one your quoted a negative comment. I feel it was very sound advice given your record on here. I have little to say about the guys with toyota's and sport plows, because they don't affect my bottom line. I very seldom lose an account, due to the service I provide. Last thing to say on this topic, I would perfer not to plow at all, but for the 18 years that I have done so, my customers would hate me if I quit now. I will never plow for a NSP no mater what the pay, or the payment plan. It's something that I have decided on a a business owner, and if you want to chase pennies, then good luck to you. On your 50 accounts that do great for you, that is a good thing, but why don't you ever post anything besides the horror stories?

15. Ramairfreak98ss

Probably because i want to know who else has experienced the same thing in the past? Sure i dont come on here and say, damn we have this awesome account, they pay great, and its $700 per push for 20,000 sq ft wide open.. sure that sounds nice, but no body cares. Kind of like no good news is ever in the newspaper right?

Sure 95% of our problems stem from the NSPs just trying to work you over and not pay. Were at the point that we're just going to have to bid on entire accounts and stop taking a dozen here and there from places like brickmans, lipinskis, usm or springwise. They all do the same crap and i know people personally who have worked at some of these companies and agree with everything ive spoken about. Even if we gained a half million in GOOD contracts without an NSP for 2012, id still not want to just kiss away $50,000 or $500,000 if we can possibly get the work for an NSP, eventually, ill throw in the towel like many of you and just say simply, its not worth the time and aggrevation no matter how much $ is involved and thats it.

I wasnt attacking your post above/comments, more so what the other guys waste time posting just following me around in their daily routine of having nothing to do than write 5 word responses.

16. Mick76

Mick76 2000 Club Member
    from Maine

Ramair,
    It seems as though you've answered your own ?'s with the above statements. You know what the NSP's game plan is yet you still "play their game"...screw them. Get Bigger, go after the million $ properties if you comfortable with your abilities to manage these type of accounts. Every NSP is the same. If you really look at your #'s and the aggrivation per account, can you really say the NSP are worth dealing with? If it were me, I'd put your time in finding more quality accounts instead of playing their game.....