1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

contracts help

Discussion in 'Bidding & Estimating' started by MyersPF, Aug 30, 2005.

1. MyersPF

MyersPF Junior Member

Hello everyone,

First off I need some help. We are a small excavating contractor near Johnstown, PA. I few weeks ago we were approached by a friend that does some residential and small commercial accounts to be a sub in a larger commercial account.

The contract is seasonal, and seemed very vague. It is for plowing and removing the snow to a different location on the site. It also includes salt and anti skid.

Being a seasonal contract, the pricing is raised do to uncertainty on the snow fall amounts. Would it be wrong to place a stipulation in the bid for more money if the snow fall is above the 5 or ten year average?

Also salting will be done by the prime. But I was wondering if the “magic salt” should be used instead of the regular rock salt? Being that there is concrete sidewalks and so forth.

There is one other question. We are new at seasonal contracts and would like to view a seasonal contract for reference.

If anyone could help us out we would be very appreciative.

2. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

3. MyersPF

MyersPF Junior Member

Would it be better to have a clause that is based on the seasonal average or excessive snowfall in a 24 hour period?

Example: 12” in 24 hours

How would I state that so the owner understands?

On average how much salt is used per square yard per application?

Also I am not a member of SIMA, so I do not have access to the contracts.

4. plowed

plowed Senior Member

This is referred to as a Blizzard Clause. See if you can search for it here, you should be able to find something about it.

5. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

John's right - "Blizzard" Clause. :drinkup: Blame it on a brain cramp.