1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Contracts for residential?

Discussion in 'Business Fundamentals' started by CTPlow, Mar 19, 2005.

1. CTPlow

CTPlow Member

Up to this point, I have not been a big fan of any type of seasonal contract, but I'm trying to see if next year I can sign up my residential customers to winter contracts so I know what I will be making.
    Are contracts more for commercial accounts or has anyone had success/payout consistency with annual winter contracts for residential customers? If so, a sample contract would be GREAT!
    Would like to hear your input.
    Thanks in advance.

2. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 PlowSite Fanatic

Personally, I've never had a contract in 17 years of lawn maintenance, or 10 years of snowplowing, except for the ones that Wal-Mart makes me sign.

I look at it, if you and whoever it is you're doing work for, cannot have a working relationship, then who wants to be stuck working for them??

I realize there are times that people will try to screw me, but so far no one has, and I don't believe I will have any problems.

Currently, I maintain 38 accounts with the lawn maintenance, 15 of which are on flat fees year-round with snowplowing included. I keep the same accounts each year and have had all from 2 years to 17 years (lawn maintenance).

If someone's going to try to rip you off, they're going to do it whether you've got a contract or not.

If someone goes more than 30 days, stop service. You might end up chalking an account to lesson learned, but more than likely not.

I'd be more worried about subbing work from someone and not getting paid from them, than I would about not getting paid from your own customer.