1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Contracts for per push/per inch or Hourly

Discussion in 'Business Fundamentals' started by tjlands, Dec 14, 2006.

?

Do you charge Per push/per inch or hourly

1. Per push/Per inch

17 vote(s)
    85.0%
  2. Hourly

3 vote(s)
    15.0%
  1. tjlands

tjlands Senior Member

I don't start many discussions but I would like to see why people still charge by the hour for plowing. I have been wrong but I think pricing your plowing by the hour penalizes you for having State of the Art equipment and top operators. The only thing I would ever charge hourly(and I do) would be loader work. No Yelling:nono:

2. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

While there is a place for hourly on very large contracts, I believe, I think the biggest reason for hourly pricing is because a lot of contractors are not comfortable estimating their time for service and this way, they at the very least get their per hour price. So unless your hourly rate is off, you can't really lose money. You can't make anymore either, but at least you have a guaranteed minimum.

You are absolutely correct on the equipment. No incentive to ever be efficient. Might as well put a bunch of guys out there with shovels.

3. Superior L & L

Superior L & L PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

For sure ! nothing else to say