1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Contractors Grade 8ft??????

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by show-n-go, Oct 29, 2009.

1. show-n-go

show-n-go Senior Member

I did a search and didn't find anything about these. I found a one year old new one that i can buy, it's an 8ft ultra mount plowside with the hand held controller only.
    Where do these fall in the lineup of Western? I went to their site but they must not have them anymore because i can't find them anywhere on there.

The plow is $2500obo but i would still have to buy all the truckside stuff. In my mind I'm thinking that is a good deal, am i thinking right?
    also i was looking around at the truckside wiring and found that there are a ton of different ones. Will those work on all the plows as long as it's for your truck or does each plow have it's own?

2. WilliamOak

WilliamOak PlowSite.com Addict

BUY IT NOWW!!! lol, contractor grade is the subtitle of the pro plus, the pro plus is contractor grade. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.
    Thats a great deal!

3. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

It uses a regular Ultramount mounting system, so basically just get the proper truckside and you'll be ready to rock. It's a decent deal, but you'll probably plan on spending around $1k plus install on the rest of the stuff.

To me, the Contractor blades actually seemed a little chinsier than the regular ol Ultra's......almost as if the moldboards were thinner and not braced as well. Not sure as much about the straight blades, but the V's for sure.

On that note, not to try and make a sale, but I can still set you up with a Boss for your truck in trade on a gun or 2 and some cash if you wanted to. I have a 7'6" trip edge boss complete for your truck.

4. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

Maybe I'm wrong, but I think you're wrong. :cool: I remember the contractor blades being out for only a season or 2 then stopped. The MVP's were junk IMHO. Like a piece of tin for the mold boards.

5. WilliamOak

WilliamOak PlowSite.com Addict

Between what I said, and what got-h20 said, id go with what he said lol.

6. sno commander

sno commander PlowSite.com Addict
    from ct

my 8 ft pro plus says contractor grade on it so my guess would be that it is a pro plus. any pics of it then we can help you out.

7. show-n-go

show-n-go Senior Member

Ok i'm open to other brands this one caught my eye since it was brand new. Do you have anything bigger than a 7'6, I keep thinking i need at least an 8' on my excursion. Will a 7'6 be big enough for it. I guess we'll take it to PM after this.

8. show-n-go

show-n-go Senior Member

I found the ultra mount truckside for $280. the wiring is the only thing i couldn't price out since i don't know what all i need. here are some pics

western.jpg

western2.jpg

9. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

Looks like a real nice plow. Pics of the backside would help. It has a rubber cutting edge and the reg one bolted over the top in like new condition as well. A poly flap too, that's extra. New style lights as well. Seems like a great deal. I'd say if you can get it for $2k or so you'd be doing pretty good!

Remember with truckside brackets that you'll also need receivers too. They run about $150.

I know of an 8'6 Boss complete too, I'll try to find out about it if you want. PM me trade only prices of the guns and we'll go from there. And yes, you're right. The bigger the better. 7'6 would be OK, but 8-8.5 would be better.

10. cubicinches

cubicinches PlowSite.com Addict

The Pro Plus plows say Contractor Grade on them, as do the MVP plus plows and their predecessor's, the MVP's. The Pro Plus blades have quite a few differences over the regular pro plows... more trip springs, two shock absorbers, heavy duty a-frame and quadrant, longer angle cylinders, 1/2" cutting edge, 31-1/2" blade height, and the blade does not trip all the way down - it only trips about 30 degrees. They are built significantly tougher than the regular pro plows. I own a few of both. Because the Pro Plus is built heavier, it is bulkier and not quite as nimble as the regular pro plows, which I think is a consideration depending on what type of plowing you're doing. And.. that is a very good deal on the one you're looking at.

11. Elite Property Services

Elite Property Services Senior Member

That is a nice plow for the money a couple good options make it that much better. Just my 2 cents.

12. show-n-go

show-n-go Senior Member

Thanks guy's. I emailed the guy early in the day and still haven't heard back so i guess we'll see. He didn't put a phone number on his add so i hope it's not a scam..

Most of the lot's that i do are strip mall and warehouse lot's.. and couple of schools and a church. And then my driveway and a few friends just because i'm a nice guy. The warehouse's do have loading docks but we normally get as close as we can and let the quad or skid do the rest.

13. nekos

nekos Senior Member

The back of the plow is really what we need to see. That being said it is most likely a Pro Plus. You can tell by the blade guides. The heavy duty Westerns come with the thick blade guides. The lighter duty plows come with the skimpy blade guides with the little flags on them.

$2500 for that plow is a steal.

14. cubicinches

cubicinches PlowSite.com Addict

It's definitely a Pro Plus... Cutting edge is double bolted at the ends, the markers, and the Contractor Grade decal.

They use the big orange blade guides on the Pro Plus and the V plows. The skinny little ones are actually much more durable, that's why they use them on the regular pro blades where the markers can get folded down into a snow pile when the blade trips. The Plus's and the V's don't trip that far. If you do any appreciable amount of plowing, those big hollow markers don't last. But, the flags on the skinny markers are gay...

15. nekos

nekos Senior Member

I know the skinny ones are more durable. I mean why wouldn't they be. They need to stand up to the rigors of plowing 2 driveways !!! :confused:

Anyway ya your right. I forgot about the double bolts on the end of the cutting edge.

16. suzuki0702

suzuki0702 Senior Member

yup thats gonna be a proplus....ive got the 8'6" its a heavy duty blade! you wont b dissapointed

17. show-n-go

show-n-go Senior Member

Unless this guy does'nt respond to my emails..

I have emailed and called about 15-20 people on craigslist over the last few weeks trying to buy a plow and i have only got 2 emails back. I can't understand why people put things up for sale without a phone number or at least answering questions via email.

Thanks for the info guy's hopfully I'll be able to buy a plow soon, this cash is burning holes in my pockets

18. suzuki0702

suzuki0702 Senior Member

ya its not a good time to buy a plow they are in high demand!!! sounds like the guy sold it already..this is the best place to get good deals ,check the for sale section here. i had to drive 4 or 5 states in a winter storm last year but it was welll worth it if you know what i mean!!!