1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Contractor settles over Snowvember price gouging

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by grandview, Mar 18, 2015.

1. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

2. Rick547

Rick547 Senior Member
    from Indiana

They should have used Plowz. :laughing:
  3. Longae29

Longae29 PlowSite.com Addict

If you don't like the price don't hire the contractor. Shovel your own roof/driveway
  4. xgiovannix12

xgiovannix12 PlowSite.com Addict

Indeed..... That guy sure knows how to make a good profit :rolleyes:
  5. Mr.Markus

Mr.Markus PlowSite Fanatic

I dunno GV, you posted a driveway you did for $150, I would've charged $50 for. You should give them $100 back and send me $25. I never understand some judgements but then I'm a low baller honest guy.
  6. Longae29

Longae29 PlowSite.com Addict

If I charge $130/hr and my competition charges $65/hr am I also gouging?
  7. Mr.Markus

Mr.Markus PlowSite Fanatic

According to the judgement you are...was my point.
  8. Camden

Camden PlowSite Fanatic

I can't believe this isn't the mindset. Didn't these people willingly agree to the price?
  9. 90plow

90plow Senior Member

We were charging $75 an hour per man to shovel roofs last year. People new the rate going in and were home when we came and when we left. It was a 4 man crew and a typical house we shoveled problem areas cleaned gutters of ice etc. I don't think I would have done well in that judgement as most houses were charged around 1,200 and the whole roof was not cleared....
  10. xgiovannix12

xgiovannix12 PlowSite.com Addict

The price was agreed on I dont see an issue... its the homeowners fault for agreeing with the price...
  11. bluejlandscaper

bluejlandscaper Member

Why should the NYS attorney general say that these contractors gouged those home owners that probably agreed on the price. I know of several people that paid at least $500 to have their drives plowed, when their own contractor could not perform the work with 5-7' of snow. I did not work in that area, but I know of one contractor from central NY, that came in with a skid steer with a high flow snow blower that charged home owners an average of $500. He boasted that he made over $25G for a couple of days work.
    When a contractor has invested a lot of money in equipment, why should NY State tell him what he can charge. This is still a free country and price gouging to one is not the same to others.
    As far as the contractors clearing roofs, that Collingwood Co. was right in saying that most of those low ballers were not legitimate contractors. They took the cash and ran. No insurance, no workers comp and no employees on the books.
    Back in 2000, when our area got hit with 7' of snow between Christmas and New Years, I know of an individual that paid a contractor, several thousand dollars to clear the roof of his 3,500 sq/ft home. He was happy just to get his roof cleared at the time.
  12. UltraLwn&Lndscp

UltraLwn&Lndscp Senior Member

Damn, I got hosed. I went into Lancaster/Depew to plow my buddy, his in-laws and brother in-law. We also shoveled the roofs and all I got was a $100 gas card, bottle of Glenlivet and a case of beer. Damn it. :hide:
  13. Triple L

Triple L PlowSite Fanatic
    from Canada

So everyone has the exact same size driveway and roof huh? The people with the huge driveway only pay $300 just like the single car driveway? Seems as though that hasn't been thought about
  14. John_DeereGreen

John_DeereGreen PlowSite.com Addict

I guess I fail to see where 350-500 for a driveway with 7 FEET of snow is that unreasonable.

GV, what's your average snowfall per season and what do you charge for an average driveway per season? Quick Google search shows around 70 inches per season. Say your average drive for the season you're charging 400 bucks. So in 1 storm you've got 1.2 feet ABOVE your average to clear at once.

Seems to me that your seasonal price should apply to one time customers, considering you're plowing more at once than you do all season on average.
  15. Buswell Forest

Buswell Forest PlowSite.com Addict
    from NH

I would fight it tooth and nail. If I had a written contract. This sets precedent. Not cool.
  16. FordFisherman

FordFisherman PlowSite.com Addict
    from 06611

Think we need to have the Judge ride along the next time we plow a huge dump of snow. Bet he changes his tune.
    Last time I checked upstate New York was still a free market economy,no?
    Those guys are only guilty of hiring shi##y lawyers.
  17. procut

procut Senior Member

What a joke. If you don't like the price keep shopping.
  18. CityGuy

CityGuy PlowSite Fanatic

That's what I was thinking. If they want prompt service from a contractor that does not normally service them then you pay for it.

Don't like the price get someone else. Don't pay then *****.
  19. CityGuy

CityGuy PlowSite Fanatic

20. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

we ended up with around 200 inches of snow. If you take out that November snow,I was on track for a normal season for plowing.