1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Contractor Referrals

Discussion in 'Business Fundamentals' started by Dogplow Dodge, Aug 19, 2012.

1. Dogplow Dodge

Dogplow Dodge 2000 Club Member
    from NJ

After being in business for myself for nearly 10 years, I've found the best way to obtain my clients is through referrals. I ether get referred by my contractors I deal with, or clients I've served in the past. I don't actually do any type of advertising, as I tried that when I first started, and it pretty much went nowhere. I do the best work possible, and let my reputation do the rest.

Do you guys get referrals from your contractors you deal with ? Clients ? Suppliers?

If so, do you compensate them in any way shape or form ? The reason I ask is because a new contractor I just established a relationship with has put me on his "snow referral list". He's a tree removal contractor who does not do any plowing of snow. He's constantly getting calls, during the winter, about snow removal, and hasn't been referring anyone. Since I just gave out his name to 6 different clients, whom all used him for several thousand dollars of tree removal and pruning services, I'm his new top snow referral guy.... or so he says. I guess time will tell.

If I get all of his inquiries, I'd like to make it worth his while....other than just passing his name about. Maybe gift certificates to a nice restaurant or something similar..... or maybe just cash....

What do you guys do for those who "take care of you" ????
  2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Return the favor to him. I do that. But if you want to keep the grease coming ,shoot him a small gift card to somewhere.
  3. Dogplow Dodge

Dogplow Dodge 2000 Club Member
    from NJ

Thanks Grandview....

I guess it's worked for my regular business all these years, it should do well otherwise.