1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Contracting "small" sites salting rates billed by the ton?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Ramairfreak98ss, Nov 17, 2014.

1. Ramairfreak98ss

Ramairfreak98ss PlowSite.com Addict

I realize all the downfalls with this type of billing as a practical matter... but does anyone do it for anything short of large accounts?

No one owns 2 ton spreaders, you have 2 yard spreaders, and some salt is heavy "fine" some is light "course"... although you always pay per ton to purchase it in bulk, there is no way to know how much is loaded by your machine, how much is held in your truck " unless you scaled it each time it was loaded?"

There is no way to know how much your spreader applies per minute or per site to bill accordingly. I can only assume that 60-90 days after invoices are sent out, the company would dispute that you didn't use a full ton or 2 tons, and you'd have NO way to dispute it.
  2. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Just do it by the 1/4 yard. Guess tamate
  3. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Any idea if the Dept of Weights and Measures could get involved?

Wouldn't one need a certified scale if one is going to sell something by weight?

Gas pumps are certified. Etc.
  4. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

flat rate,
  5. Mr.Markus

Mr.Markus PlowSite Fanatic

Minimums...Thumbs Up
  6. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

No no no. Maximums.
  7. beanz27

beanz27 Senior Member

Best thing I've ever done I think is mandate a minimum charge.
  8. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Thats what happens with Mark downtown
  9. ponyboy

ponyboy Senior Member

I charge per application
  10. Longae29

Longae29 PlowSite.com Addict

For small to medium duty Salt traxx by snow ex tracks usage. Large trucks onboard scaling can be used.
  11. leigh

leigh PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

x2,keep it simple