1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

contracting out snow removal

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by 129, Oct 7, 2005.

1. 129

129 Junior Member

I need help with estimates for sub contracting out snow removal. I will be plowing a small gas station with not much area to push and stack snow. The previous "plower" charged $130.00 per hour to have snow removed. Is this a far price? Is it better to price per hour or job? I have yet to contact any large contractors that work in my area for service. I just wanted to get imput from the pro's before I do. Any Help? Thanks Scott
  2. Grn Mtn

Grn Mtn PlowSite.com Addict

It would seem to me that it just is going to come down to who you find to remove the snow for you and what they charge. Also ask what kind of time frame you'll be getting from them, are you on the bottom of his list and it will take 3 days after the storm? etc, etc. Have you looked into doing it yourself? Or doing the loading part with a rented bobcat/tractor. Sometimes you can get good rental deals over the winter, just rent a tractor for the winter and leave it at the lot, then all you have to do is have a dump truck come and haul the snow away that you load into him.
  3. Plow King

Plow King Senior Member

With a gas station I would do it by the hour, with all the traffic in and out of gas stations it can be a pain in the butt.

If theres little traffic it might take a half hour, if theres a lot it might take you 2.5 hours.
  4. 129

129 Junior Member

snow removal

Thanks for the tips. I have a partner that has a 06, Ford 550 dump. I think I should just rent a loader as needed and haul it away our selves. I will be contacting a contractor also, thanks for the info. Scott
  5. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

If your going to be renting a skid, paying your buddy to haul, and still make money yourself I think your going to want more than $130/ hour. Just my thinking..
  6. Grn Mtn

Grn Mtn PlowSite.com Addict

update us

129, I would be interested to find out what method you ended up with after the numbers were crunched. Update us when that happens if you could, thus making it more useful to someone else when they have the same question.
  7. digit

digit Member

129/ Is that $130. per hour per piece of equipment or total. truck loader Ect.?

TRUE TURF LAWN Senior Member

make sure you make some money to. good luck with this.
  9. Gicon

Gicon Senior Member
    from MA

I know in my commercial bids snow is considered Hazardous Waste. You need to remove the snow and bring it to a place that can properly handle it. Now whether or not I bring it to my back yard and dump it or indeed to a hazardous place is my call, but its certaintly figured into the price. I assume it is considered hazardous waste anywhere......food for thought