1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Contract?

Discussion in 'Business Fundamentals' started by bigboss1977, Aug 10, 2012.

1. bigboss1977

bigboss1977 Senior Member
    from Utah

Does anyone have anything in there contract pertaining to canceling the contract before winter starts? I'm just working really hard to build up my customers for snow removal. Just anything that can protect me from a lower baller coming in and offering a lower price. I have provisions for canceling contract that either party can cancel with a thirty day written notice. But I wanted something to protect me more before winter starts....and wanted to see what others do for this.

Thanks

2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Why would you want them if they are pulling stuff on you already?

3. bigboss1977

from Utah

I haven't yet I' just lost a couple last year wondered to low ballers. Contract was signed and in place, and they got it because they offered a lower price and it was before we got the first snow fall for the year. So I was just wondering what other people put in their contracts to protect them before snow gets here and protect them against lower ballers. I was thinking some kind of cancellation fee before winter like $500.00 I don't know....I'm just sick of loosing accounts to low ballers.

4. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Even if you had that,who's going to collect the money for you? You can try and use it as to scare them from not cancelling,but then they might not even sign with you to begin with. It takes awhile to find good customers in the business.

5. Mr.Markus

Mr.Markus PlowSite Fanatic

Good service and value....just about the only thing that builds a lasting business. When I lose a customer to a low bid I always shake their hand (the customers) and let them know I'm available if it doesn't work out.....That!... and get the lot across from them to show them the difference.

6. bigboss1977

from Utah

Yeah I've noticed that with finding good customers. Everyone here wants the cheapest lowest price possible.....forget about a reliable plow service and a good quality service done the first time. Though I did have people call me before that didn't like my price and was begging me to come help them after their plow guy wouldn't show up.

7. SullivanSeptic

SullivanSeptic PlowSite Veteran

You can put anything you want in a contract. If they cancel, what is gonna make them pay? Most customers just look at you and say "oh well, have fun trying to get me to pay it". Even a 30 day cancelation policy means nothing. Unless you are gonna take them to court over such a small amount, they can just walk away. It sucks but its the truth. I lost one of my monthly accounts last month. It was a 3 year seasonal for snow and grass cutting. He let us know one week before he closed on a sale of the entire strip mall. It sucks and i told him he is an azz for not letiting me know, but thats all i can do.