1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Contract wth town to clear delinquent sidewalks

Discussion in 'Bidding & Estimating' started by Leanworks, Dec 22, 2011.

1. Leanworks

Leanworks Member

Hi all! Have an interesting one to discuss today. Seems the town is tired of people who don't clear their sidewalks as required by local law and have some new plan in motion to have a sheriff run around to the houses in question and then, after a few days, have a guy such as myself to go clean them if they still have not been cleared.

I got wind of this unofficially and, it will be sent out to tender on Tuesday next week with I assume, a one week window or so for proposals. I called the town and spoke to the gent doing the program and he stated that ATVs were not permitted on town streets (I run ATVs with plows and a mounted blower along with hand blowers.) After I explained to him that I was permitted by the town, had workers comp, insurance and was incorporated as well as having mounted flashers on all moving equipment he actually stated he could empower me to operate under an exemption if I won the bid.

This is worth a lot as I would then be able to mix in my own accounts with the delinquents I would be servicing and, be able to cruise from job to job without loading and offloading in many cases. A substantial plus. As well, it gets me in with the town for next year with possibly bigger and better contracts as well as some lawn care mixed in.

He gave the preferred pricing strategy away when I spoke of hours he spoke of feet so, here I am attempting to figure it out as it goes beyond making a few bucks in the here and now.

I pay twenty to twenty five an hour for my guys to operate. I account for ten bucks for fuel and maintenance and another twenty five for company profit so, can run an hour for minimum fifty bucks to comfortable figure of sixty.

I charge ten bucks to show up - offload and reload at a residential (travel time is minimal with all areas of town within ten minutes of anywhere else) I then charge five bucks a car size with a normal single lane drive that fits three cars a total of twenty five bucks. If I can minimize the on and off loading by mixing it in with this town gig and, even get the exception to travel by quad then it would be a fairly good bonus.

So, tomorrow I'm going to scope out how many homes have non shoveled sidewalks to get an idea then, compose a proposal along with proof of insurance, WCB, Permit to operate as well as incorporation.

Ideas on how much to throw in the proposal? Please!!
  2. Longae29

Longae29 PlowSite.com Addict

Pm Sent. .