1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Contract wording for truck rental/dealership

Discussion in 'Bidding & Estimating' started by vtscaper, Nov 17, 2009.

1. vtscaper

vtscaper Junior Member
    from VT

I have owned my landscaping bus for five years and have managed to do very little plowing. Mostly done myself for very local clients.This year we decided to add a plow on our pick up as well and line up a route for my foreman.

Most of our new contracts including the site I am posting about have already been clients and tell us year after year they would be happy to look at a bid if we decided to expand our plowing. So in most cases we are only bidding against the current contractor and it has been fairly easy to feel things out. Typically I just ask "where are you at? where do you want to be? what does your current contract look like? However the manager at this particular site is being very quite about these things.

The lot is typically full at night and in the morning with customer drop offs and then slowly empties throughout the day. The RFP states that the contractor must come back as soon as majority of the stalls are open to clear remaining snow. The manager knows we will not be waiting around for them to jockey trucks around the lot, they will simply call when they are ready. This is still going to be a PITA like a dealership.

This bid will be going to corporate headquarters and being awarded by someone ive never met or talked to. So i am trying to figure out the best way to clearly word this contract to protect myself and provide something that can be compared apples to apples.

I have a price figured per service for plowing and salting if it were wide open. Typically we have a half charge for clean up if we need to come back after things are moved, but this needs to be more specific. How should I apply this to a bid. Thanks in advance for the help.

2. forestfireguy

forestfireguy PlowSite.com Addict

Is this a large national operation ? It sounds like when you say it's going off to corporate. If it is be prepared for them to ask you to sign their contract. And they may demand you adopt their specs. We've been going for 2 weeks now negotiating whose specs will be used on a new office building we picked up. Anyway, if you want the job you may be forced into their contract, if you're pretty good with legalese no sweat, you'll know if somethings wrong for you. If not have an attorney review the langauge to make sure you're not putting yourself up against a wall. As far as the specs, try to get them to add yours as an adendum if you sign their contract. Mind you I may have typed all of this for nothing if they'll sign yours. If it is as I said you are really only providing a proposal, so find out before you spend alot of time and brainpower on wording things just right.