1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Contract troubles.

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by zerolatency, Jan 6, 2010.

1. zerolatency

zerolatency Member

So i have a contract that is pretty simple.
    < 1&1/2 salt
    1&1/2"- 4" plow & salt
    additional over 4"

The trouble is, he has decided he wants to save money and unless its completely necessary he doesn't want salt. Which means he doesn't want me to salt after i plow unless there is ice built up and doesn't want me to salt when i normally would when there is less than 1&1/2 so that snow ends up packing into ice and making a mess. I just want to make him happy as he is a good customer and he pays for the service(s) i preform but i'm worried about my liability. I don't want an employee to slip and fall and it be my but on the line becuase i didn't salt.... what should i do?
  2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

type up a letter stating he is responsible to call you for salting and have him sign it .This way when you get sued you'll have this letter to give to your insurance company In fact send it to your agent to put it on file.
  3. FordFisherman

FordFisherman PlowSite.com Addict
    from 06611

Let him know that your the professional and while no one likes to pay for snow removal and ice control, application should be at your discretion period. Once you relinquish control to the customer it opens up many issues.
  4. zerolatency

zerolatency Member

yeah, i'm in between what both of you have said, i don't necessarily want to force him to call me whenever he wants to salt. I'll end up plowing, leaving and he'll call as soon as i get home and i'll be out the trip, or he won't call at all and i'll be out even more business i already am, and i don't want to give him the tough love speech and salt and charge for it anyway if thats not what he wants, as much as i'd like to salt everytime i'd like to still have him as a customer next year....
  5. In2toys

In2toys Senior Member

If he calls you back, tell him there is a call back fee. twice your hourly, or whatever.
  6. srl28

srl28 Senior Member

Although hes a good customer, you are the profesional here. He called on you to perform the services here for a reason. On top of that, at least my opinion here is that if this issue becomes a liability to your business in that he doesnt want to pay for salt and thus creates quite the hazard, then its not worth it to your business. Too many lawsuits out there just open for the taking in a situation like that. If its a liability to your business you really have to put your foot down. IMO.

Ran into a problem customer in this sense before and I explained my side of things as profesional as possible and why salt is needed, etc. He understood. Salt is cheaper than a lawsuit and a bad name in business.

STRONGARM Senior Member

We have a customer with the same issue, he has to sign a waiver that states he is the liability holder for slip and falls ect. Also we call him or email when we think it is salt worthy so that we have a record of our professional recommendation. I only do this for him because he hands us loads of work year round and pays within 15 days.