1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Contract Stuck in Limbo...

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by derekbroerse, Aug 31, 2005.

1. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

Well, this evening I found out that one of my best customers died in an accident.

Very sad, he was a real gentleman.

Now the question is... how do I proceed from here? There is no signed paperwork yet this year as I have not done it yet. I was hoping to start this upcoming week.

I want to approach them about such things yet I have no idea who will even be taking over. Rumour has it that his son had started working there, so maybe he will take over the whole plaza. Or maybe it will go up for sale??? Or ???

Crap.

I figure I need to wait a few weeks for everything to settle down, then maybe head into his office and talk to a secretary etc. to try and get a little information, then potentially approach the family.

I certainly don't want to seem insensitive or anything, but I'd hate to lose this account after five years. Life does have to go on, doesn't it?

Has anyone had to deal with this situation? :help:

2. T-MAN

T-MAN PlowSite.com Addict

The good news is at least there is no invoice's due yet. Been there, not fun.
    Your approach sounds like it should work for you. I would definitely get all the info I could out of the secretary. Who's running the show ? , possible sale ? etc.
    Todd

3. pbeering

pbeering Senior Member

Send flowers to the funeral home and a card to his family. "Please call us if we can be of any assitance at this difficult time"

Call the office in a couple of weeks. If your contract was there, they'll find it eventually. If it snows, do whatever you would normally do, just as though the guy was still around. Right now they have their hands full with a lot of matters that are more important than plowing snow.