1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Contract question about an "Event"

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by fishgeek, Oct 21, 2010.

1. fishgeek

fishgeek Member
    from chicago

Hey Guys and Gals

I did snow plowing about 20 years ago and I'm back in it. I downloaded a contract off this site and am trying to make sense out of it. The word "Event" Defined. Is it better to have it list as a 24 hour period after the snowfall or like a given day from 12:01 AM to 12:00 PM???

Thanks All:waving:

2. snobama

snobama Member

Duration of a storm extending past a 24 hour period is sometimes considered more than one "event". If you involve a specific time of day then you are running risk of confusion for a typical storm getting split up because it occurred overnight. Or you may want to consider a 3 hour span of no snow between events. Utilizing a weather service and going by what a meteorologist says is a safe way to go.

3. plowatnight

plowatnight Senior Member
    from Mn

if you think about it, a snow event is a snow storm without regard to the amout of snow or duration of the storm. Therefore, spell out in your contract (once your confident you know what your customer wants in terms of service) what, how often, and when you intend to do whatever it is your customers want, and what it will cost them.

Pretty simple,, huh?

4. z_scapes

z_scapes Junior Member

Some of my contracts specify an event as snowfall beginning and ending with an 8 hour span before the beginning of the next snowfall. If it's less than 8 hours, it's considered to be the same event However, the total accumulation for that event is what I bill on so it's probably in my favor.

5. fishgeek

fishgeek Member
    from chicago

Sorry for taking so long for getting back to you guys.

Thanks for your thoughts, It does make sense that it should start at the end of a storm.

Thanks again

6. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

If it snows for more than 24 hours, I charged at least twice. I was probably there three times. I'm glad I don't have to worry about that stuff anymore. All mine are seasonal this year.

7. fishgeek

fishgeek Member
    from chicago

That's another question I have. How do you figure out Seasonal pricing. I'm in Chicago and my friend who plows told me we had 17 pushes last year and I'm wondering how you go about figuring the seasonal rate out? I would appreciate your guys help
    Thanks

8. TCLA

TCLA 2000 Club Member

Take a combination of your per push rates, multiply by the average number of events for your area.

9. Mick76

Mick76 2000 Club Member
    from Maine

Palmer, I thought you were getting out of it?

10. fishgeek

fishgeek Member
    from chicago

That's kinda what I thought.

Thanks again