1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

contract plowing

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by bow2no1, Oct 6, 2008.

1. bow2no1

bow2no1 Senior Member

a friend of mine is part of an association.
    he told me they was sick of the old plow guy cuz he plowed way to often and billed them every time he plowed and he only lived across the street literally from the association.

so the contract is up for grabs again this year. i put in my bid of 65 the other 2 bids where 80 and 85.. my buddy seems to think i'm goin to get it.

anything i should know before signing anything?
    any questions i should ask or expect to be asked?
  2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Sounds like your going to be in the same boat. Plow to much they ***** ,not enough they *****. Should of sold them on a seasonal contact.
  3. Scott's

Scott's Senior Member

Will you bill them every time you plow? Some times the guy pushing the pen has no clue how to push the snow.
  4. bow2no1

bow2no1 Senior Member

nah, my buddy is a jack of all trades, machinist/carpenter/lobsterman and we buy and sell auto parts from the local salvage yard and sell them on eBay together.
    i trust his judgment.

he says he was over plowing alot more then necessary 3-4 times a day and sometimes he wouldn't let the snow build up over and inch. the association paid out over $1600
    just in plowing last year.
    sounds to me like the guy just got greedy.
  5. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

Depends alot on the amount of hours he plowed tho too. If you wait till the snow is deep then you will spend ALOT of time pushing it.
  6. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

how big of a place is this?

$1600 doesnt sound like much for a year
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2008
  7. bow2no1

bow2no1 Senior Member

maybe 300 feet? it's a straight shot with a loop around at the end.
    pretty easy.

my buddy seems to think if i get the contract i will also pick up some of the personal drive ways. i can make a easy days pay from that one place.
    witch i'm hoping cuz i'm probably gonna get laid off during february and march
  8. fms

fms Senior Member
    from Maine

I'm not sure about Boothbay, but we had a record snow season in most of Maine last winter. Three to four times a storm on a commercial drive doesn't seem like too much.
  9. bow2no1

bow2no1 Senior Member

yeah we did too, on the coast we don't seem to get as much. i saw on the news last winter that up north they got really hammered!

here in boothbay, there are alot of plow guys,
    especially construction crews, reny,E.M wood and Alley.
    not to mention all the small guys like me. living on a peninsula in a tourist town sucks in the winter.
    i think winter population is around 2000
  10. kcplowmata

kcplowmata Senior Member
    from kc

1600 for 5 months aint much probly why he hit them up
  11. Peterbilt

Peterbilt Senior Member
    from IA.

Sorry, but you're screwed if you take this account. Association are the biggest PITAs

12. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 PlowSite Fanatic

The time to ask the questions is BEFORE you turn your bid in. If you're going to be a man of your word, you don't turn a bid in, then find out different issues with the property and then try to raise your price because "Well, I didn't know it was THAT situation".

Also, if your buddy was such a good buddy, he would have told you the other 2 bids were at $80 and $85, and then you could have come in at $75, still been a under the other 2, and made $10 more each time.

If he was there too many times, why? Was there someone in his ear telling him to keep the place plowed out? If he lived across the street, maybe he's good buddies with people other than your buddy, and they were telling him "Nah, go ahead and plow it every 1", we'll get you paid".

Maybe there's too many politics in the HOA and the old plow guy's buddy is ticked off that he has to pay so much in dues, so he's saying to the old plow guy "you know how much I have to pay to live here? Plow the heck out of this place, someone should get the money".

These are questions you could ask, but you'll never get answers to.
  13. LoneCowboy

LoneCowboy PlowSite.com Addict

yep, i agree and I agree with grandview too.
    They are going to complain ALL the time. You plowed too much, you plowed too little, we aren't going to pay, blah blah blah.

Sometimes people really do do bad work. But the associations/businesses that ALWAYS end up with "bad plow guys", the only commonality is the association/business.

I think you're going to hate having this client.
  14. Longae29

Longae29 PlowSite.com Addict

That sounds funny.
  15. QuadPlower

QuadPlower PlowSite.com Addict

To answer your question, you put in the contract the trigger depth that you will plow at and how often in a 24 hour period they expect to be plowed. Then you stick to it. You also put in that the contract can be extended for 2 more years. That way if you want it, there is a provision for you to get it. You put in when you are to be paid and what the penilty is for not paying you. All the HOA I do work for us my contract, not theirs.

I put in a bid and it was a 2" trigger and only plowing once a day. That is what they wanted. If it snows during the day, you go back the next morning. They will also call if they want it done again during the day.

Good Luck
  16. bow2no1

bow2no1 Senior Member

who do you think told me what the other bids where?
    the other bids where for also using a sander. i do not have a sander and don't offer that service. i told them i could sand for an additional charge that has not be set yet.
    just with some trays of sand and my bud said he would shovel it out as i drove.
    thats just a favor to that place only. i'm not offering sanding any where else.

i'm going over tonight to go over things.. i'll see what i can dig up.
  17. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 PlowSite Fanatic

I understand he told you the other bids were $80 and $85. My point is, why are you not getting $75?? I'd tell your buddy he needs to "misplace your bid" so you can admit a new one.
  18. Scott's

Scott's Senior Member

I have lost a few jobs do to places hiring friends of employees but I have gotten them back in a couple of snows because of not showing up because of a broken truck. The job goes up in price as well to take them back.

No matter how good you are if someone has conections you will lose the job to their buddy every time.
  19. MnDLawn

MnDLawn Senior Member

Wow, that's a general statement. Anything can turn ugly, you just need to know what your getting into.
  20. bow2no1

bow2no1 Senior Member

just to get my foot in the door. my bud figures i could make up the difference on the individual driveways if they choose to hire me also.

it's my 1st year plowing so i'm just trying to drum up a little business.
    if this all works out. i have an other truck 87 chevy with a fisher. it's been in my yard for a few years needs a tranny. but truck is surprizingly in good shape. it's not mint by any means but it has no rust holes or spots.

oh yeah i got the bid, found out tonight.. i guess it's just a verbal contract.

still, pretty much they want it plowed every 6 inches. 2 or 3 times in a big storm.
    i get paid every time i plow and i don't have to wait for my money. they can pay me on the spot, once a week or once a month. what ever i want.

i guess the last guy was plowing on a dusting and plowing slush.. and they got really annoyed. also the guy is getting divorced. he's from away and married the local girl across the street, they just pretty much want him outta there.