1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

contract payment

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by maricotransport, Nov 13, 2011.

1. maricotransport

maricotransport Junior Member

Hey guys, Im new to the industry and was just wondering how do you bill your customers on residential. When should i expect payment from them?

2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

What does your contract say? Are you charging for the season,monthly,per time.

3. maricotransport

Wanted to charge per time but was wondering if that was a good idea

4. grandview

Do you even have anyone signed up yet? What are you telling them when you talk to them?

5. maricotransport

No i have 10 people to meet with on Tuesday and wanted to know how i should present the contract .Seasonal, monthly or per time?

6. grandview

I go only seasonal for all my plowing.But if you don't know how many times you'll go out ,you might want to go per push this year.

7. maricotransport

Ok great, Thanks alot!!!!!!!!!!!

8. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

You can charge per storm. I used to do it that way, but my price assumed 2 pushes per storm. Seasonal is a good way to go but then you hope for no snow.

9. maricotransport

Thanks,this is the way Im going to go this year.

10. 7_below

7_below Senior Member

I do seasonal. I collect half now to activate the agreement then send out an invoice for the remaining balance during the first week of January to continue service thru April 1st. I average anywhere from 26-32 visits a season, so I base it on that. But that's just me.
    Also, I found that people like the sound of an "agreement" and not a "contract".

11. maricotransport

Thanks for the advice, Thats a good agreement that you offer.

12. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

Sounds good, 7 below. I like that.

13. ff1221

ff1221 PlowSite.com Addict

I do seasonal, prepaid by the 1st of November based on 25 to 30 times out, last year was 41, but the year before was 16, so it all averages out.

14. thelettuceman

thelettuceman PlowSite.com Addict

7 Below and others .... How would the word agreement vs. contract hold up in court? Does this mean the same thing? Not trying to thread jack just trying to learn from others.

15. grandview

You agree to the terms ,you contracted for the terms,sounds the same to me. I use agreement most of the time.

16. 7_below

7_below Senior Member

The only way either would hold up in court is if the document was created, written and signed by a lawyer and customer and contractor. Otherwise, it's just an agreement between you and your client.

17. BillA

BillA Member
    from IL

Just my opinion, I could be wrong of course. But I don't see you having to take many of your customers to court over a few hundred bucks. Snow removal is a luxury service ( in the resi market anyway ), find good customers...do a good job...and they will pay. If they don't, drive by waving the next time you see them shoveling their drive during that big storm :waving: