1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Contract or Sub ????

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Kevinrum, Oct 8, 2004.

1. Kevinrum

Kevinrum Junior Member

Hey Guys and...Girls!

12 Northeast of Boston

My town paper work arrived today, snailmail for contracting for my town

My Dilemma, Who should I push for???

I have a Monday – Friday job, but can “come and go”, as I please

Contracting for my town?
    $43.00 an hour, guaranteed 4 hours of work
    3 inches we are called out
    $100,000/300,000 insurance is needed
    Contract is for about 12 miles of streets in my town
    Good mileage, write off on taxes

Subbing for a Contractor
    $55.00 an hour
    Become an employee for his company… “No Write-Off on Taxes”
    3 inches we are called
    Takes 4-5 hours to-do parking lot, I can disappear for a few hours and come back to-do lot again

What Do You Think???

2004 F250, SuperCab, RED, 5.4L
    8ft Fisher

2. Dwan

Dwan Senior Member

with the information you have given.
    Looks like Subbing is the best from my stand point.
    less overhead
    less responsibility
    his insurance
    workmans comp.
    more hours
    more money per hr.

maybe you could do both.

3. EXPGMEDIC

EXPGMEDIC Junior Member
    from INDIANA

no choice

I agree with DWAN with the info provided sub. As a contractor some times I wish I was a sub especially when insurance is due

4. Grn Mtn

Grn Mtn PlowSite.com Addict

Plow the street, work for the town

Plowing the parking lot will get boring. Plow the street, more fun and easier. Plus you might get an in with the DPW. Never can hurt especially if you have a landscape business. IE, they let you dump in the towns landscape recycling facility, etc. If you do the street look into getting a SideWing Plow. I'm trying to get one this year, it rocks if you do streets or big lots. Less backing up so it is better for the tranny.

5. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

First, make sure of your status with that contractor. A sub and an employee are completely different. An employee - you are using his equipment, insurance and under his control, exclusively. A Sub - you will use your equipment, have your own insurance and have the option of doing work besides his. If you're a sub, you could still have tax write-offs. As an employee, not unless you have out-of-pocket unreimbursed expenses.

Taking everything into consideration, I would contract for the town. But that's just me. I would know exactly what is expected and what else I could take on. With a contractor, they'll be more likely to want to vary the times you work and conditions, etc depending on circumstances whether a sub or an employee. With the town, you're quaranteed four hours, with the contractor is a "maybe". But make sure of your status.

6. LINY Rob

LINY Rob Senior Member

I have often pondered plowing for the town versus the subbing I do for a company.

I use his insurance ( my local town wants $1,000,000 policy )

I dont have to worry about someone calling up saying I ripped out thier driveway blocks, curb, took a mirror of thier car, etc...

its all my money, its a cash deal
    There are pros and cons to each

7. Dwan

Dwan Senior Member

Also remember when working for any city, state, or the feds there is uasualy more time filling out paperwork then invalved in doing the job.