1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

contract language

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by plowking35, Aug 25, 2001.

1. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

Due to the recent thread about contracts I thought we could start a thread that each one can add to.
    What I am looking for is what members think are items and verbage that you look to have in your contracts.
    I start with outlining the principle players. I name the owner, and property location along with any secondary names of the property being plowed, and then of course our name.
    Next is time period covered by the contract and then contract pricing along with payment terms.
    Next comes the specs.
    After that comes term and conditions of the work.
    Last is per storm pricing if that is what the customer is looking for.
    All proposals go out with seasonal and per storm pricing.
    In the terms and conditions area, that is where the most grey area exists, so that is where we can really take off with this thread.
    When we are all done, any time someone asks for a contract info, we can refer to this thread, and give them a good idea what they need to cover with their own contract.
  2. SlimJim Z71

SlimJim Z71 PlowSite.com Addict

Now this is a good idea for a thread. I'll add some as soon as I read over my contract again... it's been a while.

3. SlimJim Z71

Actually, I've got a better idea. I've got plenty of free space left on my web-site. How about I set up a page where we can all go to contribut bits and pieces here and there, and make suggestions so that essentially we could create a "group contract" that could be available to everyone since it was created by the members here? Sound like a good idea???

4. paul

paul PlowSite.com Veteran

Tim, We have a forum here just for that it's called Elements of Business. Documents can be posted and uploaded and downloaded.

Guys lets remember we are here to learn and help, not one of us here knows all about all aspects* or new ideas that might come up. We learn every day only time we stop is when we die or just get dumb. Learning is a life time experience don't cut it short!

* John Allin might be the excpetion :)
  5. SlimJim Z71

Paul, I was thinking more of a compilation of all the bits that people add to the contract. Meaning, each time someone adds something, I would cut and paste it into the "plowsite members contract." I was thinking of more of a "Here's the contract, if you want to add something, click here" kind of thing. I know we have the elements of business section, but it would be a lot more time consuming for someone to create a contract from 2000 different posts to a forum... know what I mean? If it's the fact that my web-site is invloved, then it can be here instead. I was just offering since I have the space available to me. Again, just trying to help.

6. paul

paul PlowSite.com Veteran

Tim it's best that you let them pick and choose what they want in their contract, I would hate for someone to put together a contract for a heath care center and have it worded for a driveway or just reverse it :) Contracts have to be adjusted to the site, not one blanket contract will cover all areas and all services that we offer. As you grow your business you will find out why we put clauses in a contract to cover all types of problems, from wanting a on call service, to trigger depths and full year service, some even have a need for some very carefully worded statements covering ice control and slip and falls.
  7. Deere John

Deere John Senior Member

Perhaps I'll put this thread back to centre.

We had a particularly heavy winter last year - lots of snow with no thaw whatsoever. (Our cutting edges didn't even wear 1/4" because the asphault and gravel were snowcovered 'till March 15th!)

Anyway, I am including a clause this year to the effect that I will maintain private roads to a minimum width to the best of our ability. Below that, for fire access etc, I reserve the right to widen the roadway at their expense without notice. I didn't sleep well a few nights last year because of cheep customers who wanted to wait for the thaw to widen their 7' wide tunnels.

Similarly, we had a minor flood of calls to dig out driveways where people had shovelled 3+' of snow off their ( and their neighbour's roofs) and into their drives. Some were expecting inclusive service, while others were expecting the extra that it was. I want to make the optional loader service more widely known, and perhaps by contract lanquage, encourage some advanced notice for us to avoid running all over the place.

I am also going to quantify both high and low attendances on seasonal accounts to account for years when we have either unusually high or low snow events. Below will receive a minor rebate and above, additional cost. I have 20 years of our records to base my numbers on.

Lastly, for now, I will not be responsible for damage to (ie.) extension cords, outdoor timers and broken receptacles that get plowed out to the street. Pick them up or lose them.

These are all minor details and refinements to the contract I use. I will write them into both my residential and commercial contracts.

Still next to zero interest here in sanding and salting. Ice and snow is a way of life here.